The third eye chakra is all about trusting your intuition and inner vision. The following meditations, crystal techniques, essential oil applications, and yoga postures will help you connect with what you may be holding in this chakra, and, most importantly, initiate the connection with this energy vortex within you, so you may open into the wisdom it holds. To increase your connection with your third eye chakra, make sure you drink unfluoridated water. Fluoride calcifies the pineal gland, which is related to the third eye. An effective water purification system is helpful for this purpose.
Here’s an easy, tried-and-true meditation and visualization to connect with your third eye chakra:
- While sitting or lying down comfortably, take three slow, deep breaths. Each time you breathe in, imagine the breath energizing the area between your brows. Each time you exhale, release anything you may be holding in that area (any fears, pain, or even expectations of how you’re supposed to feel while doing this meditation). Personally, I find that holding my hands over my heart as I meditate on each chakra helps me more quickly connect to the chakra I’m concentrating on. Or, you can try placing one hand over your heart chakra and your other hand over the area between your eyebrows.
- “Wake up” the connection with this chakra by gently tapping between your eyebrows, or by gently massaging the area in a small, circular motion with your first two fingers.
- With each following breath, inhaling and exhaling through the nose, continue directing your breath to your third eye chakra. Imagine that there is an indigo sphere of light in that area, pulsing and growing larger. Those who identify most with male energy should whirl the sphere counterclockwise, and those who identify most with female energy should whirl the sphere clockwise.
- As you drop deeper and deeper into a calmer state, ask your third eye chakra what it needs right now. Allow yourself a few more breaths to see if you receive any feedback. It could be in the form of a word, sound, song, image, color, feeling, or intuition. Then act on the feedback you get. If you don’t have any yet, not worry! It will come as you continue practicing.
- If instead of receiving one of the intuitive hints listed previously, you instead feel an awareness, similar to a pulsing or a gentle ache that feels like a thumb is being pressed against that area of your head, you are connecting with your third eye chakra!
- At the end of your meditation, take three slow, deep breaths directing the energy of your inhale into the soles of your feet, to ground yourself. Gently open your eyes.
- Caution when doing this meditation/visualization: Because this practice takes some time to cultivate, be patient with yourself. If you find that you’re forming a frontal headache, you are pushing yourself too hard. It’s time to take a break and revisit when you’re more rejuvenated. Also, as you perform your meditation, understand that even seasoned meditation practitioners get what’s aptly termed monkey mind, where other thoughts begin to enter your mind and may momentarily distract you. Just take this is a chance to observe the \ thought without judgment, let it pass through, and gently bring yourself back to the center.
To use crystals to connect with your third eye chakra, make sure that they are first cleansed from the energies of others who may have handled them before you, and that your intention for how they will be used is set. You can clean your crystals by:
- Smudging with white sage. Simply light the tip of a white sage bundle until it begins to smoke, blow out the flame, and hold your crystal in the rising smoke for a few seconds, setting the intention that you’ll be using the crystal to help you connect with your third eye chakra. This is my favorite method because after your cleanse your crystal, you can also cleanse your body by directing the smoke toward your chakras (and the rest of your body) with your free hand.
- Laying them out overnight under the moonlight to soak up the moonbeams.
- Running water over them or soaking them in saltwater. When cleaning with water, use caution. Any stones that rate low on the Mohs hardness scale (a scale that helps identify mineral specimens and compares the resistance to being scratched) may get damaged or dissolve as a result.
Now that you’ve cleansed and charged them, you can work with them in a few ways:
- Get into a comfortable seated or lying down position. Hold the crystal in your left hand—the receiving hand—so you can receive the healing energy from the crystal. Notice what you pick up from the crystal. Does it feel like a throbbing in your hand? Like static prickles? Or just a simple awareness of its energy? If you don’t feel any of these things, that’s okay. Sometimes it takes a while to create awareness with a stone’s energy. Ask it to help you connect with the wisdom of your third eye chakra. Allow your mind and heart to open to receive any feedback, in the way of images, colors, sounds, words, memories, emotions, or other impressions that may flow through. Keep in mind that working with crystals can take some getting used to. So, if your third eye chakra doesn’t open into an epiphany right on the spot (which is unlikely on a first try, but anything is possible!), understand that you are one step closer to being more connected with it, be compassionate with yourself. Know that it is on its way.
- While lying down, place your selected third eye chakra crystal between your eyebrows. Take three slow and deep breaths, and allow yourself to drink in the energy of the crystal. As with the preceding holding technique, you may feel the energy pulsing between your brows, like a gentle heartbeat. You may feel slight static energy. Or you may have an awareness that the crystal’s energy is interacting with your energy. If you don’t feel any of these things, that’s okay. You may want to say the affirmation listed in the last paragraph of the Essential Oils section (below) to more intentionally connect with your third eye chakra.
3. Essential Oils
Lavender, frankincense, and sandalwood are the essential oils that correspond with the third eye chakra.
To use a single oil (or a blend of oils) to help you connect with this chakra, add 5 or 6 drops maximum per oil to a dime-size portion of carrier oil (such as jojoba oil). Apply with a cotton ball to the third eye chakra, at the area between your brows, to anoint yourself.
Alternately, you can put the mixture in your hands and rub them together. Through friction, you will release the scent and energy of the oils. Open your palms to release the fragrance. Deeply inhale the scent.
Whether you choose to anoint your third eye chakra, or activate the properties of the oils by rubbing them between your palms, take the time to intentionally create a connection with your third eye chakra. Say something like, “I now intend to create a connection with my third eye chakra. I now release all fear that keeps me from trusting my intuition. May I trust and follow it, and see past what is physically in front of me, so that I may see all possibilities with ease. May I effortlessly integrate my inner vision into all aspects of my life, and allow myself to connect with the emotional intelligence of my third eye. And so it is.”
For the third eye chakra, the focus is to see things from all perspectives—all poses right-side up, upside down, twisted, or eyes closed. Try wearing a blindfold during a set of poses to experience pratyahara, or the drawing inward of the senses. This helps direct your vision more deeply inside yourself, which can aid this chakra. In addition, doing supported Forward Bends using an extra bolsteror blanket helps press upon and stimulate this chakra.
5. Other Tips
- When you receive an intuitive hint, act on it. It will strengthen your intuition.
- Chant the mantra sound: “SHAM.”
- Set the intention that you wish to connect with your inner wisdom.
- Add dark blue and indigo colors to your wardrobe.
- Eat foods such as black currants, blueberries, blackberries, eggplant, prunes, beets, and rainbow chard.
- Remove fluoride from your diet using a water purifying system because fluoride calcifies the pineal gland, which is directly linked to the third eye chakra.
Leave a Reply