The crown chakra is all about becoming more connected with our Inner Divine, as well as our connection to the Divine. The following meditations, crystal techniques, essential oil applications, and yoga postures will help you connect with what you may be holding in this chakra. Most importantly, these techniques will help you initiate the connection with this energy vortex within you so you may open into the wisdom it holds.
Here’s an easy, tried-and-true meditation and visualization to connect with your crown chakra:
- While sitting or lying down comfortably, take three slow, deep breaths. Each time you breathe in, imagine the breath energizing the top center of your head. Each time you exhale, release anything you may be holding in that area (any fears, pain, or even expectations of how you’re supposed to feel while doing this meditation). Personally, I find that holding my hands over my heart as I meditate on each chakra helps me more quickly connect to the chakra I’m concentrating on. Another option might be to place one hand over your heart chakra and your other hand over the top of your head.
- “Wake up” the connection with this chakra by gently tapping at the top of the center of the head, or by gently massaging the area in a small, circular motion with your first two fingers.
- With each following breath, inhaling and exhaling through the nose, continue directing your breath to your crown chakra. Imagine that there is a purple (or white or gold) sphere of light in that area, pulsing and growing larger. Those who identify most with male energy should whirl the sphere clockwise, and those who identify most with female energy should whirl the sphere counterclockwise.
- As you drop deeper and deeper into a calmer state, ask your crown chakra what it needs right now. Allow yourself a few more breaths to see if you receive any feedback. It could be in the form of a word, sound, song, image, color, feeling, or intuition. Then act on the feedback you get. If you don’t have any yet, don’t worry! It will come as you continue practicing.
- If you don’t receive any of the intuitive hints listed previously, but instead feel an awareness, similar to a pulsing or a gentle ache that feels like it’s connecting with the space directly above your head (or shooting much farther up above you), you are connecting with your crown chakra!
- At the end of your meditation, take three slow, deep breaths, directing the energy of your inhale into the soles of your feet, to ground yourself. Gently open your eyes.
- Caution when doing this meditation/visualization: Because this practice takes some time to cultivate, be patient with yourself. If you find yourself starting to experience a vertex headache or a headache located at the top of your head, you are pushing yourself too hard. It’s time to take a break and revisit when you’re more rejuvenated. Also, as you perform your meditation, understand that even seasoned meditation practitioners get what’s aptly termed monkey mind, where other thoughts begin to enter your mind and may momentarily distract you. Just take this as a chance to observe the thought without judgment, let it pass through, and gently bring yourself back to the center.
Amethyst, clear quartz, Herkimer diamond, labradorite, moonstone, selenite, phenacite, kunzite, apophyllite, and white topaz are the crystals that resonate with the crown chakra. To use crystals to connect with your crown chakra, make sure that they are first cleansed from the energies of others who may have handled them before you, and that your intention for how they will be used is set. You can clean your crystals by:
- Smudging with white sage. Simply light the tip of a white sage bundle until it begins to smoke, blow out the flame, and hold your crystal in the rising smoke for a few seconds, setting the intention that you’ll be using the crystal to help you connect with your crown chakra. This is my favorite method because after your cleanse your crystal, you can also cleanse your body by directing the smoke toward your chakras (and the rest of your body) with your free hand.
- Laying them out overnight under the moonlight to soak up the moonbeams.
- Running water over them or soaking them in saltwater. When cleaning with water, use caution. Any stones that rate low on the Mohs hardness scale (a scale that helps identify mineral specimens and compares the resistance to being scratched) may get damaged or dissolve as a result.
Now that you’ve cleansed and charged your crystals, you can work with them in a few ways:
- Get into a comfortable seated or lying down position. Hold your crystal in your left hand—the receiving hand—so you can receive the healing energy from the crystal. Notice what you pick up from the crystal. Does it feel like a throbbing in your hand? Like static prickles? Or just a simple awareness of its energy? If you don’t feel any of these things, that’s okay. Sometimes it takes a while to create awareness with a stone’s energy. You may ask the crystal to help you connect with the wisdom of your crown chakra. Allow your mind and heart to open to feedback in the way of images, colors, sounds, words, memories, emotions, or other impressions that may flow through. Keep in mind that working with crystals can take some getting used to. So, if your crown chakra doesn’t open into an epiphany right on the spot (which is unlikely on a first try, but anything is possible!), understand that you are still one step closer to being more connected with it. Be compassionate with yourself. Know that it is on its way.
- While lying down, place your selected crown chakra crystal at the top center of your head. Take three slow and deep breaths. Allow yourself to drink in the energy of the crystal. As with the preceding holding technique, you may feel the energy at the top of your head pulse, like a gentle heartbeat. You may feel slight static energy. Or you may have an awareness that the crystal’s energy is interacting with your energy. If you don’t feel any of these things, that’s okay. You may want to say the affirmation listed in the last paragraph of the Essential Oils section (below) to more intentionally connect with your crown chakra.
3. Essential Oils
Frankincense, peppermint, sandalwood, and lotus are the essential oils that correspond with the crown chakra.
To use a single oil (or a blend of oils) to help you connect with this chakra, add 5 or 6 drops maximum per oil to a dime-size portion of carrier oil (such as jojoba oil). Apply with a cotton ball to the crown chakra, at the top center of the head, to anoint yourself.
Alternately, put the mixture in your hands and rub them together. Through friction, you will release the scent and energy of the oils. Open your palms to release the fragrance. Deeply inhale the scent.
Whether you choose to anoint your crown chakra or activate the properties of the oils by rubbing them between your palms, take the time to intentionally create a connection with your crown chakra. Say something like, “I now intend to create a connection with my crown chakra. May I understand that I am a reflection of the Divine/Source/Universe/God/Dess. I release all fear that keeps me from trusting my path. I ask to be supported in the elevation of my consciousness, so I may live in the knowledge of Unity, and trust that my life is unfolding exactly as it should. And so it is.”
To cultivate the crown chakra with yoga, headstands are a great way to increase blood flow to the head, which makes you ready to receive information from the Divine. Because headstands are an advanced yoga posture and have a higher risk of injury (Headstand and Shoulderstand, for example, may not be appropriate for beginners or anyone with a neck injury), they should be done with the support and guidance of a trained yoga teacher. Meditation is also recommended as a yogic practice to aid in balancing this chakra.
5. Other Tips
- Practice gratitude.
- Cultivate a meditative practice.
- Chant the mantra sound of “OM.”
- Wear the color purple or white.
- Set an intention that you are in touch with your crown chakra, the Divine within yourself, and the Divine/Source/Universe/God/dess.