Vitamin C is one of the top important vitamin groups for the body. The health benefits of vitamin C are due to its antioxidant properties, this can help prevent cardiovascular disease, boost the immune system, or good for the skin… In addition to taking vitamin C tablets, you can take vitamin C supplements through your regular diet. However, for vitamin C supplementation properly and effectively, you should follow the six principles below.
- 1. Top 4 health benefits of vitamin C
- 2. The note when using vitamin C
- 3. Foods rich in vitamin C
1. Top 4 health benefits of vitamin C
1.1 Health benefits of vitamin C: Antioxidant
✅ Vitamin C is one of the many antioxidants of the body. Antioxidants (Vitamin E, beta-carotene, Vitamin C) can convert oxidizing agents into harmless substances and release them by urine. Vitamin C combines with many forms of free radicals and eliminates them. Thanks to the effect of vitamin C, the body’s cells are not attacked by dangerous free radicals – the cause of inflammation, atherosclerotic plaque, and cancer.
1.2 Health benefits of vitamin C: Improve the immune system
- Vitamin C contributes to strengthening immunity, increasing resistance by supporting the function of various cells throughout the immune system. It supports the epithelial barrier function against pathogens and environmental oxidation.
- Vitamin C is present in phagocytic cells such as neutrophils, produces reactive oxygen species, and eventually kills bacteria that invade the body. It has also been shown to enhance differentiation and proliferation of B and T cells.
- A deficiency of vitamin C leads to a decrease in the body’s immunity, making the person more susceptible to infections. In contrast, the infection also affects the level of vitamin C in the body by spending a large amount on the inflammatory process – infection. Therefore, vitamin C supplementation seems to prevent and treat respiratory infections.
1.3 Health benefits of vitamin C: Coordinate with Iron, Calcium
✅ Vitamin C benefits help to absorb iron from plant sources. Assists the transfer of serum iron to ferritin for storage in the liver and release of ferritin iron into serum when needed. Vitamin C also helps in absorbing Calcium by preventing Calcium from turning into an insoluble form. Switch from the inactive form to the active form and remain stable in the active form, preventing loss through urine.
1.4 Health benefits of vitamin C: Beauty skin
✅ Vitamin C has the strong antioxidant capacity, improves many skin problems such as dark spots on the skin, inhibits the formation of Melanin, makes the skin white, lightens dark spots, melasma and age spots incense. When your body always stores a sufficient amount of Vitamin C, your skin will also become brighter and more vibrant, Vitamin C helps skin not dry, wrinkled due to aging.
2. The note when using vitamin C
2.1 Do you need vitamin C supplements
✅ Vitamin C is necessary for all ages and subjects because it contributes to the complete development and repair process of the body. But not so that we arbitrarily use vitamin C supplements indiscriminately. But depending on the health condition, each body needs different levels of Vitamin C supplements. If you have the following health problems, see your doctor for advice about vitamin C supplements:
- Anemia: Vitamin C helps absorb iron, produces hemoglobin and red blood cells. Without enough vitamin C, the body can’t absorb iron and causes anemia.
- Osteoporosis: Vitamin C works to increase the density of the spine, femur. People who are deficient in vitamin C are at high risk for fractures and osteoporosis, especially for women.
- Osteoarthritis: Vitamin C is an antioxidant that contributes to the synthesis of collagen types 1, 2, and aggrecan – the basic components of articular cartilage. Levels of vitamin C lower than normal are one of the causes of osteoarthritis.
- Cardiovascular disease: Lack of vitamin C can lead to some cardiovascular diseases such as weakness, impaired cardiac function, etc.
- Scurvy disease: It is one of the typical diseases when the body is not getting enough vitamin C. Typical symptoms of Scorbut disease include: gingivitis, bleeding from the tooth, bleeding, hematoma under the skin, …
- Cancer: Lack of vitamin C, the body is vulnerable to free radicals and floral oxygen – the main cause of cancer.
✅These diseases are often the result of long-term vitamin C deficiency. You can recognize this condition earlier through a number of symptoms such as fatigue, irritability, weight loss, muscle, and joint aches, unexplained bruising on the skin, root bleeding, gingivitis, dry hair, and skin, prone to infections, colds, …
2.2 When should you take Vitamin C?
✅ It is best to take Vitamin C supplements in the morning or at noon after a full meal. You can also use fruits like oranges, grapefruit after eating as a dessert, or maybe a glass of orange juice, lemon… That will not affect your stomach, causing some problems such as stomach pain, worse than stomach ulcers…. Avoid using Vitamin C supplements at night, before going to sleep because it will make it harder for you to sleep.
2.3 The amount of vitamin C needed on day
✅A person’s body cannot make vitamin C, so people need to eat enough foods that contain vitamin C to meet their daily needs. If someone is at risk of vitamin C deficiency, supplement with oral vitamin C. You can refer to the following table for daily vitamin C intake. However, in cases where you have some of the aforementioned conditions, it may be necessary to supplement vitamin C in larger amounts with supplements, then consult your doctor to give the right dosage.
|Age||Male (mg)||Famale (mg)|
So how do I know if I am overdosing on vitamin C ?
- Causing kidney stones: Vitamin C often has properties that increase the excretion of uric acid and oxalate, thereby increasing the risk of kidney stone formation in the body. Therefore, you should be careful if you see the body has the phenomenon of pale skin, difficult urination, loss of control.
- Causes nausea, diarrhea, stomach ulcers: These are common side effects of people who accidentally consume excessive amounts of vitamin C, especially when consumed on an empty stomach. This often happens because vitamin C is excess in the digestive tract, which affects the metabolism of the body.
- Cause fatigue, drowsiness: Excessive intake of vitamin C can also cause frequent fatigue and dizziness. In addition, you also feel sleepy, lack energy, thereby hindering the activities of the day.
2.4 Do not take with antibiotics
✅ Many people also often use effervescent vitamin C as a beverage even while taking antibiotics. For that will help increase the body’s resistance. However, when taking antibiotics, especially beta-lactam antibiotics such as penicillin, ampicillin, amoxicillin, augmentin, cloxacillin, oxacillin … pay attention not to use fruit juice or sour drinks because these antibiotics are not stable in acidic environments. Vitamin C – ascorbic acid makes the effect of antibiotics no longer available.
✅ Therefore, when taking antibiotics, it is best not to take at the same time as drugs containing vitamin C. It is also not advisable to use sour fruits, carbonated soft drinks, and acid pH immediately after taking the medication antibiotic.
3. Foods rich in vitamin C
Green vegetables and fruits high in vitamin C can easily be found in life
- Oranges: A 250ml glass of orange juice contains 124 milligrams of vitamin C. So you only need to drink one glass of orange juice to get enough vitamin C for a day. Oranges are also a good source of potassium and vitamin A. Using whole oranges is also a good source of fiber.
- Guava: Guava is a tropical fruit that contains 4 times more vitamin C than oranges. Guava is also a good food thanks to its high fiber, low fat, and sodium salts. To supplement vitamin C with the body, you can use from 1 to 2 guavas per day.
- Strawberries: A cup of strawberry juice has 98 milligrams of vitamin C. Strawberries are also a great source of fiber and magnesium. Strawberries can be a great snack that helps improve the skin.
- Kiwifruit: The most nutritious kiwi in the world, with a high content of vitamin C at about 70mg per 100g. Kiwi also provides potassium, antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids. Kiwifruit should be eaten early when it ripens and just cut before eating, the vitamin C content will decrease when the kiwi is exposed for long periods in the air.
- Papaya: 100g of papaya contains about 62mg of vitamin C. Papaya is also a fruit with high antioxidant content such as carotene and flavonoids, Vitamin A, and Folat.
- Peppers: Peppers are also listed as a food source of vitamin C, which should be added to the daily diet. Medium-sized green bell pepper contains 95 milligrams of vitamin C. So one bell pepper will provide the vitamin C you need for the day. Pure green bell pepper contains only 24 calories, suitable for incorporation into a weight loss and a healthy diet.
- Leafy greens: A cup of broccoli has 81 mg of vitamin C. Although broccoli and leafy greens do not contain as much vitamin C as oranges, lemons, etc., they are full of energy and nutrients for a long day. Besides providing vitamins C, K, A … green vegetables help the metabolism in the body take place more smoothly, create conditions to promote excretion and detoxification. Help bring healthy skin and physique.
- Tomatoes: A raw tomato provides only about 20 milligrams of vitamin C. But you will get more vitamin C when using pure tomato juice. 250ml of tomato juice contains over 120 milligrams of vitamin C. Tomatoes are also rich in vitamin A and lycopene, a heart-healthy antioxidant.
4. Recommended for you :
🎁 Vitamin C by Nature’s Bounty for immune support
✅ Vitamin C Capsules by Nature’s Bounty is one of our leading vitamins for immune support. Vitamin C is an important nutrient for the functioning of white blood cells which are vital components of the immune system. Vitamin C capsules from the trusted vitamin experts at Nature’s Bounty provide a sufficient dose of Vitamin C without the ingredients you may not want. Nature’s Bounty Vitamin C Caplets combine science, nature, and 50 years of expertise and innovation to provide the easiest way to increase your daily intake of this important nutrient for immune support and antioxidant health. Directions: For adults, take one (1) capsule daily, preferably with a meal. Safety Information: If you are pregnant, nursing, or taking any medication, consult your doctor before use.
🎁 Emergen-C | Vitamin C 1000mg
✅ Emergen-C vitamin C drink mix is a great way to support your daily wellness routine. Emergen-C provides Daily Immune Support with more Vitamin C than 10 oranges – and is packed with B Vitamins to enhance energy naturally, Electrolytes and Antioxidants. Emergen-C Vitamin C drink mixes are made with natural, real fruit flavors, plus they have no artificial sweeteners and are caffeine-free. With great taste, this product is suitable for children, you should use it daily to eliminate the risk of nosebleeds for children.