Vegetarian is a diet that limits animal-based foods and uses only plant-based foods or adds eggs and milk. Healthy vegetarian diets are increasingly popular and applied because it has many health benefits such as reducing the risk of chronic disease, weight loss … However, similar to other diets, being vegetarian has its own limitations.
1. The benefits to health
- Providing nutrients: Vegetables, fruits, grains, cereals … are always important foods, necessary for the body, they provide a variety of vitamins, fiber, and other micronutrients. To have stable health, of course, indispensable vegetables, tubers, fruits, grains …
- Effective weight loss: When switching to a vegetarian diet, your weight easily decreases rapidly because you load into your body fewer calories than usual. However, this situation may change if you consume too many carbohydrate-rich vegetarian foods such as white rice, cassava, and pastries. In addition, you should also pay attention not to eat vegetarian food processed in industrial packaging. Because if you eat too much, you are not only difficult to lose weight but also at risk of gaining weight.
- Reduce the risk of heart disease and diabetes: A vegetarian diet uses more vegetables, less fat, cholesterol, and sugar than other diets. You know the formation of cholesterol plaques can cause the risk of heart attack, stroke … Moreover, when you are vegetarian, you will absorb the limited amount of salt, thus, blood pressure will be balanced, reduced burden to the heart. In addition, cutting down on the amount of sugar in the body helps you reduce the risk of hyperglycemia. However, to control diabetes effectively, you need to limit foods high in starch and high-sweet fruits.
- Good for the digestive system: Eating more vegetables and legumes means your fiber intake will increase. Increasing the amount of fiber in the body helps the intestinal microflora grow because they use fiber as the main food, besides you will reduce the situation of intestinal disorders such as diarrhea, constipation, indigestion.
- Beauty and anti-aging: Vegetarianism means that you put in a large number of vegetables, tubers, fruits, and herbs to reduce hormonal disorders, give your skin vitamins and minerals, and Eliminating toxins accumulated in the body. This not only helps your skin get enough moisture but also increases elasticity and lights up from deep within. Some fruits such as carrots, beets, pumpkins, sweet potatoes are rich in carotenoid antioxidants and benign so they have an effective anti-aging effect. In addition, being a vegetarian will nourish your mind to calm you down and ease anger control. This is the secret to help you stay fresh and full of life.
- Cancer prevention: Fasting helps you put fiber, vitamins, important micronutrients, and antioxidants in your body help to boost your immune system, eliminate gastrointestinal toxins, and free radicals in the body. Toxins and free radicals are one of the main causes of cancer. At the same time, limiting the use of red meats and saturated fats will also help you avoid substances that are harmful to the body.
2. The disadvantages of being vegetarian
✅ Regardless of any diet, there are both advantages and disadvantages, and so is a vegetarian diet. Because most of us know that the biggest limitation of vegetarianism is that it can easily lead to a lack of nutrients, nutritional imbalance, if people eat Vegetarian, does not know how to build a scientific menu, combining a variety of foods. In fact, there are essential nutrients for the body that is abundant in meats but very little in vegetarian foods including vitamin B12, iron, protein, protein, calcium, calories … explain why vegetarians often experience dizziness, fatigue, or even more dangerous than osteoporosis, anemia … However, this disadvantage can be overcome if you pay attention to the following:
- Help your body get used to the vegetarian diet: In the beginning, you should not suddenly switch from a regular meat diet to a vegetarian diet. Give your body time to get used to, adapt when fasting for a few days in a month, then increase the number of days, increasing the time depending on your health condition.
- Develop a scientific menu: You can search for vegetarian food that provides micronutrients equivalent to other foods. To learn how to build yourself a list of vegan, nutritious foods, you can read the Article.