Elderly people often suffer from osteoarthritis diseases, of which degenerative joint disease is the most common. The degenerative joint is the aging process of cartilage and the surrounding joints. This disease is closely related to age, which means that the higher the age, the more severe the degenerative lesion will be. The disease affects health as well as the quality of life of the elderly, the elderly not only have difficulty in movement and walking but also suffer pain when the weather changes. Furthermore, when a degenerative joint is not detected early for treatment, it is easy to lead to deformed joints, limiting movement, sometimes stiffening joints. Treatment for degenerative joint disease in old age includes the addition of essential micronutrients such as Calcium, vitamin D … At the same time increasing exercise and controlling weight. Let’s find out.
1. Causes of Degenerative joint
- Due to age: the disease usually appears late in the elderly (from 60 years of age, nearly 80% of people over 75 years of age) because the older the age, the stronger the phenomenon of aging of organs, including joints.
- Due to endocrine and body metabolism (menopause, diabetes): when the body hormone changes, it reduces the amount of hormone in the body causing bone and joint diseases.
- Due to injuries: injuries to the knee that affect the cartilage heads, tendons, and fluid around the knee, causing changes in the axis of the joint. Some common situations such as falling, traffic accident, labor accident
- Obesity or weight gain too fast: This will increase the pressure on the bones and joints, gradually making the bones and joints compressed, deformed.
- Nutrition: Vitamin D deficiency also contributes to the risk of Degenerative joint. Vitamin D is an important nutrient that helps in the absorption of calcium in the body and is therefore essential for strong bones.
- Due to other inflammatory lesions in the joints such as rheumatoid arthritis, gout, osteoarthritis …
2. Manifestations when you have Degenerative joint
- Pain: This is the first symptom of Degenerative joint. The articular cartilage damage makes it difficult for the bones to move, which can cause uncomfortable pain when moving. In the longer term as the disease progresses, this condition even occurs even without moving. Especially when the seasons change or the weather changes.
- Stiffness: When joint deterioration, the joint cartilage layer and joint fluid are severely damaged, unable to perform the lubrication function, so the operation of the bones will not be as flexible and easy as before. In the elderly, this phenomenon often happens, especially in the morning when the patient wakes up or after sitting inactive for a long time. The seriously ill will usually take about 30 minutes to massage, exercise can continue to work again.
- Sound when movement: When the joint degenerates, the cartilage head and the tendons around the joints are deformed and the two ends of the bone close together, even touching each other, causing sounds.
- Difficulty when moving: Osteoarthritis causes many of the nerves to be pinched, combined with the inability of joints to function flexibly, which is also a major obstacle that directly affects the motor’s ability to move. In the elderly, knee degeneration makes it difficult for people to walk, even unable to walk.
- Joint deformity: When joints no longer retain their original function, joint deformation gradually develops, joint swelling even causes joint dislocation.
3. Treatment for degenerative joint disease in old age
Because Degenerative joint stemming from conventional aging may not always prevent the disease. However, we can apply the following measures to limit as well as reduce the early course of the disease :
- To prevent the Degenerative joint, the elderly should have a reasonable living regime (eating, drinking, walking, exercising …). There should be a gentle activity and activity regime such as playing sports, walking, swimming … limiting heavy loads, doing excessive movements. In addition, you should regularly change your position, avoid sitting for a long time, keep the correct posture, avoid working in the wrong posture leading to dislocations, change the structure of the joints and limit dangerous sports to avoid injury.
- You need to ensure an adequate supply of important micronutrients for joints such as vitamins and minerals (protein, calcium, vitamin D, B vitamins …). In addition, you can use drugs to prevent and treat Degenerative joint effectively such as glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin sulfate …
- In middle age, you should have a healthy lifestyle, avoid stimulants, alcohol, … cause premature joint cartilage aging.
- Control your blood sugar level because too high a sugar level will affect the structure of articular cartilage
- Weight control: Being overweight can put pressure on joints, making the progression of joint diseases faster.
- Periodic health exams to measure health status and detect disease promptly.
Recommended for you :
🎁 Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM Turmeric for Hip, Joint & Back Pain Relief. Anti Inflammatory Supplement with Hyaluronic Acid, Collagen, Boswellia, Bromelain & Fruitex-B
✅ At BioSchwartz, they believe a healthy gut is a happy gut. Their mission is to empower you to elevate your quality of life through superior supplements. Their supplements are made with superior-quality ingredients to help you achieve optimal health from the inside out.
✅ POWERFUL JOINT PAIN RELIEF & CARTILAGE SUPPORT: BioSchwartz Glucosamine supplement can help build cartilage, boost joint mobility, increase joint flexibility, support joint structure, protect joint tissue, and reduce inflammation. Glucosamine MSM Chondroitin capsules can ease the pain and discomfort that comes with age, weight or athletic deterioration of the joints. Directions: As a dietary supplement take three (3) capsules 1 or 2 times per day preferably with a meal and water or as directed by your healthcare professional. Safety Information: This Glucosamine is derived from shellfish (shrimp, crab, lobster, crayfish) ingredients. People allergic to shellfish MUST NOT consume this product. Do not exceed the recommended dose. Pregnant or nursing mothers, children under the age of 18 should consult a treating doctor before use.
🎁 NOW Supplements, Vitamin D-3 5,000 IU, High Potency, Structural Support
✅ Since 1968 NOW has been a leader in the natural products industry. Even when healthy foods and natural supplements weren’t mainstream, we’ve never wavered from our mission – to provide value in products and services that empower people to lead healthier lives.
✅ For structural support, supports the immune system, and helps maintain strong bones! NOW Chewable Vitamin D-3 supplies this key vitamin in a tasty chewable form. Vitamin D is normally obtained from the diet or produced by the skin from the ultraviolet energy of the sun. However, it is not abundant in food. As more people avoid sun exposure, Vitamin D supplementation becomes even more necessary to ensure that your body receives an adequate supply. Directions: Use according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Safety Information: Do not exceed the recommended dose. Consult your health care practitioner if you have any kidney medical, hypercalcemia, are taking any medications, or are pregnant/lactating. Keep out of reach of children.
✅ A Program in the book with 12 chapters gives you a strategy to monitor and control arthritis. This strategy will help you get rid of the underlying cause of arthritis. It will help you control any arthritis disease in 21 days or less. In addition, there will be many recipes and superfoods, filled with vitamins and other essential nutrients, listed in the book. The Arthritis Step By Step Strategy | Review – CLICK HERE ➡
🎁 Top Anti-Inflammatory Diet CookBook on Amazon
✅ With the anti-inflammatory diets written in these books, you will naturally reduce inflammation and heal common conditions, such as arthritis, autoimmune, food allergies, digestive disorders, inflammation in the case of colds, flu, etc.