Tryptophan (also known as L-tryptophan) is one of the nine essential amino acids that the body cannot synthesize, we are required to get it through food. Tryptophan acts as a natural mood regulator, as it has the ability to help the body produce and balance some hormones. Supplementing with tryptophan-rich foods will help bring many health benefits to induce sleep, fight anxiety, and may also help burn more body fat. Tryptophan has also been found to stimulate growth hormone production and even reduce starchy food cravings and help fight sugar addiction in some cases. Amino acids, including tryptophan, are extremely important building blocks of protein, but many of us are intolerant of all of these.
1. The relationship between tryptophan, 5-HTP, and serotonin
✅ 5HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) is an important byproduct of tryptophan, works in the brain, and central nervous system to promote feelings of happiness, connection, and safety. It does this by increasing the production of serotonin – one of the body’s main stimulating hormones. Serotonin is a soothing chemical that is made when we eat comfort foods (some foods that make us feel good and happy) like carbohydrates. Serotonin works by transmitting signals between nerve cells and changes in brain function that affect mood and sleep.
2. Top Tryptophan health benefits
2.1 Tryptophan health benefits: Help improve sleep quality
✅ There is evidence that tryptophan has a natural sedative effect that can help you sleep better and this may help improve overall health. Lack of sleep is a risk factor for many problems such as depression, decreased coordination of movement, reduced concentration and memory, muscle aches, weight gain, and more. Tryptophan provides you with a natural way to get a better night’s sleep without having to use prescription sleeping medications – causing many unwanted side effects. Supplementing with L-tryptophan has shown great effects in treating sleep disorders instead of just supplementing foods containing tryptophan alone. Supplements help reduce the amount of time needed to go to sleep, improve mood the next day after sleep better, reduce teeth grinding, and reduce sleep apnea.
2.2 Tryptophan health benefits: Reduce depression and anxiety
✅ Tryptophan not only helps you sleep better, but it has also been shown to naturally elevate your mood. When certain amounts of L-tryptophan are converted into serotonin, the body feels happy, relaxed, and confident. A decrease in tryptophan absorption can significantly reduce some of the brain’s feel-happy activities and low serotonin levels common in people with anxiety and depression. Some studies have even shown that tryptophan and 5HTP supplements are as effective as prescription antidepressants. 5HTP is beneficial for treating people with mild to moderate depression as well as medicines like fluvoxamine (Luvox).
2.3 Tryptophan health benefits: Relieve headache and migraine
✅ The scientists said that increasing the synthesis of serotonin (from tryptophan) in the brain reduces migraine symptoms, including photosensitivity, indigestion, pain, and more. A study conducted by Murdoch University Psychology in Australia found that after 5 to 8 hours of drinking a drink with 19 different amino acids, including tryptophan, symptoms of migraine headaches has dropped significantly.
2.4 Tryptophan other health benefits
✅ Weight-loss support: Tryptophan has a weight loss function, based on the following:
- Helps increase serotonin levels thereby promoting calm, mental clarity, controlling cravings. Or even support better metabolic function, all of this can lead to weight loss.
- L-tryptophan is needed for the synthesis of niacin (vitamin B3) as a provitamin and niacin which is important for the conversion of nutrients in our diet (carbohydrates, proteins, and fats) into Usable energy supports metabolism. Niacin/vitamin B3 is also important for cognitive functions, including the synthesis of important neurotransmitters and appetite control enzymes.
- Another interesting benefit is tryptophan that improves physical activity and fights fatigue, meaning it can give you the motivation to improve your fitness and exercise regularly. It has been used by athletes for many years because it improves training results, reduces performance anxiety, and keeps people motivated to reach their goals.
✅ Can help detoxification: Supplements with a combination of amino acids and herbs have calming, anti-anxiety properties – like the combination of L-tryptophan, 5HTP and St. John wort (Hypericum perforatum) – has been shown to help people detox by increasing serotonin and melatonin production. L-tryptophan is often used for people who try to quit smoking.
3. Notes when using Tryptophan
When using supplements that contain the ingredient L-tryptophan, you should keep the following in mind:
- L-tryptophan can cause a number of side effects such as heartburn, stomach pain, vomiting, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and loss of appetite, causing headache, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, weakness muscle. However, not everyone experiences these side effects.
- L-tryptophan may be unsafe during pregnancy because it can harm an unborn baby. Not enough information is available about the safety of L-tryptophan during breastfeeding. Therefore, you should consult your doctor before using it for pregnant and lactating women.
- Tryptophan and antidepressants, sedatives can increase the side effects of these medications.
- L-tryptophan may cause drowsiness. Therefore, you should not use it before driving.
Recommended for you
🎁 NOW Supplements, L-Tryptophan 500 mg, Encourages Positive Mood, Supports Relaxation
✅ Since 1968 NOW has been a leader in the natural products industry. Even when healthy foods and natural supplements weren’t mainstream, we’ve never wavered from our mission – to provide value in products and services that Empower people to lead healthier lives.
✅ L-Tryptophan is an essential amino acid; therefore, it is not synthesized by the body and must be obtained from the diet. L-Tryptophan is critical for the production of serotonin and melatonin, which help to support a positive mood, healthy sleep patterns, and proper immune system function. Every lot of NOW L-Tryptophan is tested to be free of Peak E and microbial contamination. Directions: As a dietary supplement, take 1-2 Vcaps® 2 to 3 times daily on an empty stomach or as directed by a health care professional. Best used at bedtime. Keep out of reach of children. Pregnant/lactating women, those taking anti-depressant medications (such as SRRI’s or MAOI’s), or those with liver disorders, consult a health care professional before using this product. May cause drowsiness.
Leave a Reply