Toothache is a sharp or dull ache in the inner area or around the teeth. This condition is likely caused by many causes, such as tooth decay, dental infection. When toothache, you should go to the dentist to find the cause and timely treatment. However, if you do not have time to see a dentist, you can use the 5 home remedy for toothache pain.
1. Habits that cause toothache
The cause of tooth decay is largely due to improper dental care and many bad habits in daily life. If you regularly do the following, you will be prone to toothache :
1.1 Due to the living habits
- Using toothpicks: After every meal, many people still have the habit of using toothpicks. This is a very bad habit that increases the risk of tooth decay. Toothpicks made from wood or plastic are usually very hard. If you use toothpicks to remove food residues between teeth, the enamel will be damaged and weakened. Thereby, creating conditions for bacteria to attack tooth enamel, making teeth vulnerable to cavities. So, instead of using toothpicks, you can floss to clean between teeth.
- Teeth grinding: This behavior often occurs due to stress, anger, excessive concentration … leading to a lack of control. Thereby, teeth are not only worn but also chipped, causing aesthetic loss.
1.2 Use of stimulants
✅ The stimulants in cigarettes, alcoholic beverages, drugs, … are the enemies of the mouth. Not only do they change the color of teeth, but they also damage the immune system in the oral cavity, weaken the salivary glands, leading to dry mouth, and kill the good bacteria, thereby creating conditions for the bacteria. Harmful bacteria attack and invade the tooth surface, forming cavities and toothache.
1.3 Using foods that are harmful to teeth
- Foods that are high in acids, sugars, and starches: During chewing and grinding foods, hard tissues of teeth are often corroded by acids. Foods that contain exogenous acids are pickles, carbonated drinks, lemons, grapefruit, vinegar, etc. These foods are harmful to the teeth and increase the risk of tooth decay. In addition, foods rich in sugars and starches have the ability to regenerate acids through chewing and grinding foods in the oral cavity. Harmful bacteria have the ability to ferment sugars and starches such as saccharose, glucose, fructose … in food to create endogenous acids.
- Foods that are too hot or too cold: When using food that is too hot, tooth enamel expands, whereas when eating foods that are too cold, tooth enamel will constrict. These two conditions are not good for enamel. In particular, tooth enamel will become worse if you use both foods at once. Thereby, it will increase the risk of tooth decay.
- Hard and chewy foods: At present, there are still many notions that eating hard and chewy foods will stimulate the chewing process, thereby strengthening teeth. This is a wrong conception. Because when the process of chewing and grinding food takes too long or too much, the enamel layer will be more, from which the enamel weakens, leading to tooth decay. Gum is typical of this concept, although it helps to breathe better, it stimulates many chewing activities, causing tooth enamel to wear.
2. 5 Home remedy for toothache pain
2.1 Home remedy for toothache pain: Cold compresses
✅ Cold compresses are a common home remedy for toothache. In addition, this measure is especially effective for cases of toothache due to trauma or swelling of the gums. This method uses low temperatures to limit blood flow to the affected area. From there, the pain will be partially reduced, leading to reduced inflammation and inflammation.
2.2 Home remedy for toothache pain: Gargle with saltwater
✅ Using warm salt water to rinse your mouth will help you remove leftover food debris and bacteria in between your teeth. You can also make your own saline solution at home by dissolving a teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water. But the physiological saline solution is the best option for those who need to “sterilize” your oral cavity.
2.3 Home remedy for toothache pain: Use pain medicine
✅ You can use pain medicine as a simple and effective home toothache treatment. However, it should be noted that not all toothache medications are applicable to everyone. For safety, you should use paracetamol because it can be used for both children and adults. For the dosage form is tablets you can take or put right at the location of swollen teeth will give immediate results.
2.4 Home remedy for toothache pain: Drink mint tea
✅ Peppermint has anesthetic properties, thereby relieving toothache. In addition, peppermint oil is known by many as an antibacterial active ingredient. You can use dried mint leaves to soak with boiling water for 20 minutes to make mint tea. If you don’t like peppermint tea, you can also find peppermint oil and apply this liquid on a sterile cotton swab before applying it to an area of toothache. This is also considered a temporary cure for toothache. You can also use this method with clove essential oil.
2.5 Home remedy for toothache pain: Use hydrogen peroxide
✅ Gargling with hydrogen peroxide is especially effective when you have a toothache caused by an infection. Hydrogen peroxide mouthwash should be prepared in a ratio of 1: 1 between 3% hydrogen peroxide solution and water. You should rinse your mouth with hydrogen peroxide mouthwash for 30 seconds. Then spit and rinse your mouth several times with plain water.
You should note that hydrogen peroxide is extremely dangerous if accidentally swallowed. For this reason, I do not recommend this method, especially for young children.
3. Recommended for you :
🎁 Anbesol | Solution for toothache
✅ Cavities are caused by acids produced by bacteria in plaque build-up on your tooth. These acids eventually eat through your tooth’s enamel surface. This in turn creates a bigger and deeper cavity. If you think you have a cavity, visit your dentist immediately for proper diagnosis and treatment. In the meantime, for instant toothache pain relief, try Anbesol Maximum Strength. It provides instant pain relief for toothaches, gum pain, canker sores, and denture pain. The product contains 20% Benzocaine – is a substance used to numb the skin or the surfaces inside the mouth, nose, and throat. This product comes in 2 forms for you to choose from: gel and liquid.
How to use: Apply to the affected area, up to 4 times daily, or as directed by doctor/dentist for adults and children over 2 years of age. If your child is under 2 years old, please consult a doctor/dentist.