Lack of sleep greatly affects health. A person who doesn’t get enough sleep for 6 to 8 hours a day will feel tired, restless … One of the causes of insomnia may be due to the things you eat. Eating before bed is generally not recommended because it will cause the digestive organs to work instead of resting. However, there are certain foods that really prevent you from sleeping, and you need to limit these foods.
1. The harmful effects of eating late at night
✅ According to the body’s natural circadian rhythm, the night is the time when the organs in the body need to rest. However, some people have a habit of eating at night because they often go out late at night and go out to eat with friends, work late at night. However, this is one of the habits that can adversely affect health.
- Weight gain, obesity: Eating at night can cause overweight and obesity. The body’s metabolism tends to slow down at the end of the day so if you eat too late the food will be hard to digest. These foods, instead of being converted into energy, convert into fat and make the body, especially the lower abdomen, easier to gain fat. This situation if prolonged, the risk of obesity will be very high.
- Influence on sleep: Eating at night causes the stomach to increase activity to digest food. The stomach keeps working like this during sleep, making it impossible for the body to rest completely and fall into a state of difficulty falling asleep, and falling asleep. In particular, if you regularly eat the night will disturb the circadian clock will make you sleepless in the middle. Poor quality sleep can lead to more serious problems like memory loss, depression, blood pressure, heart disease, and even cancer.
- Hypertension, atherosclerosis, stroke: If you eat and then go to bed immediately will slow the flow of blood so the fat content of the blood will seep into the walls of the arteries, causing atherosclerosis. Atherosclerotic plaques are the cause of dangerous cardiovascular complications like high blood pressure, stroke, and heart attack.
- Stomach disease: After eating at night, if you sleep right away, you will experience gastric acid reflux. In addition, eating at night also causes the stomach not to rest, but must work hard so it gets weaker and weaker. Moreover, the gastric mucosa is often regenerated at night. Therefore, if you eat the night regularly, the mucosa will not regenerate, become weaker and ulcerative. More dangerously, the symptoms of heartburn, acid reflux due to nocturnal eating can lead to sleep apnea, which increases the risk of stroke.
2. Food list should not be eaten before going to bed
In general, eating late at night is unhealthy. However, the use of the following foods is most harmful:
2.1 Sugary foods
✅ According to some studies, eating sugary foods before bed stimulates the brain to cause difficulty sleeping, which also causes nightmares that make you tired when you wake up. Eating candies before bed also causes heart rate and hypertension to create feelings of restlessness and trouble sleeping.
✅ Oats or whole grains contain high amounts of refined sugar and unhealthy carbohydrates. The carbs in cereals do not give you enough time to digest, which can cause indigestion, heartburn, and belching that make it difficult to sleep. Sugar after metabolism increases nervous system stimulation causing difficulty sleeping. You should drink low-sugar whole grains to fight hunger without affecting sleep.
2.3 Red meat
✅ Red meat is high in protein and fat that will make your body work throughout the night, especially the stomach. However, these foods are not digested quickly leading to discomfort in the stomach, causing a feeling of difficulty sleeping.
2.4 Fast food
✅ Fast foods often contain fats that increase the amount of acid in the stomach. Eating fast food often causes heartburn, which affects sleep.
✅ Garlic is hot, which can cause heartburn, indigestion or upset stomach, and stomach reflux. In particular, garlic has a rather unpleasant odor that can cause you to lose sleep.
2.6 Wine and coffee
- Drinking alcohol causes fatigue and lightheadedness after waking up. It interferes with the restorative functions of sleep. People with stomach or gastrointestinal diseases should consider drinking alcohol. Moreover, this is a diuretic drink. Therefore, if used at night can make you urinate many times, affecting your health.
- Coffee is a nerve stimulant, so it should be taken in the morning to be able to work awake. However, some people use it at night, which can cause difficulty sleeping because Caffeine makes users awake for a period of 5-6 hours.