Quercetin is a flavonoid that has many biological effects such as good for the heart, diabetes, anti-cancer … Quercetin benefits are due to its strong antioxidant properties, supporting cells to fight free radicals. This substance is commonly found in vegetables and fruits, especially in onions, apples, tea, citrus fruits. Other sources of Quercetin maybe grapes, blackberries, and olive oil. Beverages like green tea and red wine also contain significant amounts of quercetin. Although you can get lots of quercetin from your diet, in many cases you can get quercetin from food supplements to get the correct dose of this antioxidant.
1. Quercetin health benefits
1.1 Good for the cardiovascular system
✅ Several studies have shown that Quercetin increases longevity and improves your cardiovascular health. Thanks to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, Quercetin will help care for the heart’s health and improve it from a variety of perspectives. This antioxidant has the effect of lowering bad cholesterol (LDL-cholesterol) and raising good cholesterol (HDL-cholesterol). That will help reduce plaque in the arteries, limit the risk of stroke and heart attack. Regular use of quercetin will also help you control blood pressure effectively. You know, hypertension is a fairly common disease today. It affects the lives of millions of people and is showing signs of constantly increasing. However, things seem to get better with Quercetin.
1.2 Quercetin benefits : Good for diabetics
✅ Quercetin is good for diabetics. The reason is that quercetin is a very good antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compound that helps diabetics avoid the risk of infection and necrosis in the limbs and eyes. Measuring anti-inflammatory properties, quercetin restricts the cause of diabetes – due to inflammation of pancreatic cells. At the same time, due to its anti-atherosclerotic and antihypertensive effects, Quercetin helps limit the cardiovascular events of diabetics.
1.3 Quercetin benefits : Preventing cancer
✅ Quercetin may also be used to prevent cancer. Quercetin is an important anti-cancer food. Like all flavonoids, it removes all the free radicals in your body, neutralizes them and this limits the growth of cancer cells. According to some studies, quercetin is also known to reduce prostate and skin cancer.
1.4 Improve immune system
✅ Quercetin is a flavonoid that has a strong antioxidant effect, helping to fight free radicals that damage the immune system. Foods containing this active ingredient help you improve your condition and recover faster from colds and flu.
1.5 Anti-allergic respiratory
✅ Allergies caused by an external attack by the body will stimulate ‘Mast’ cells to release histamine, causing irritation, redness, and swelling in your respiratory system. Quercetin helps stabilize cells. Mast cells release histamine, the main mediator of reactions with pollen and other allergies, making it a natural antihistamine. This can help you reduce tearing, runny nose, and swelling. Quercetin also inhibits an enzyme that breaks down signaling proteins that cause swelling and airway narrowing. Therefore, quercetin will help clear your airways.
2. Foods rich in quercetin
Quercetin is a naturally occurring flavonoid found in many plant-derived foods that are red or dark green in color :
- Red onions: All onions are high in quercetin. Bright red onions contain 33.4 mg of Quercetin in 100g, while white onions contain only 21.4 milligrams, and green onions contain 18.3 milligrams. The amount of Quercetin will be partially reduced after cooking and left unused for a long time. Therefore, you should use foods immediately after buying them.
- Elderberry: is a highly nutritious food, very popular in Europe. Black elderberries are known for their powerful antioxidant properties, because they contain high levels of antioxidants, Quercetin. Elderberry contains 27 milligrams of quercetin in 100 grams of fresh fruit.
- Kale: A commonly used food in salads, raw vegetables high in Quercetin is kale. Kale contains 23mg of Quercetin in 100g.
- Apple peel: Scientists have shown that apple shell contains a high content of quercetin, 19mg of quercetin in 100g of fresh apple skin. The amount of Quercetin in apple meat is much less than the peel, so if you use organic apples or a safe source, you might consider using the whole skin of apples.
- Chokeberry: The chokeberries, also known as Aronia, are known for their extremely powerful antioxidant properties. The antioxidant power of these blackberries is largely due to its very high anthocyanin content, but they also contain significant amounts of other antioxidant compounds, including quercetin. In fact, with 19 milligrams of quercetin per 100 grams of fresh, Aronia berries are the equivalent of apple peel when providing quercetin for the body.
- Asparagus: One of the popular green vegetable foods that contain high quercetin is asparagus. The amount of quercetin in asparagus is about 15mg per 100g fresh.
- Sweet potatoes: In addition to starch, fiber … sweet potatoes also contain a high content of quercetin, in 100g of fresh bulbs containing 10mg of quercetin.
- Green tea: Used as a daily beverage is quite popular today in many parts of the world. In addition to providing caffeine to keep the body awake, it also provides many other antioxidants including Quercetin. Researchers claim that 100g of fresh fruit gives us about 2mg of Quercetin.
3. Recommended for you :
🎁 NOW Supplements, Quercetin with Bromelain, Balanced Immune System
✅ Since 1968 NOW has been a leader in the natural products industry. Even when healthy foods and natural supplements weren’t mainstream, we’ve never wavered from our mission – to provide value in products and services that empower people to lead healthier lives.
✅ Quercetin is a naturally occurring free radical scavenger that supports healthy seasonal immune system function. Laboratory studies have demonstrated that quercetin can also help to promote normal respiratory function. Bromelain has a long history of use by herbalists and is known to help support a balanced immune system response to environmental challenges. This complementary combination may thus promote year-round respiratory health and support overall seasonal comfort. Use: Take 2 capsules 20 minutes before meals, twice daily.