Do you believe there’s a supplement that can help reduce inflammation, counteract the effects of stress, boost immunity, and boost energy levels? The aforementioned above comes from the health benefits of a chemical called MSM. MSM stands for methylsulfonylmethane. Methylsulfonylmethane is the oxidized form of dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO), they are an organic sulfur compound. This organic sulfur-containing compound naturally occurs in some green vegetables and other food products. They are also found in the human body, in many animals, and in milk. In addition, Methylsulfonylmethane is also a naturally occurring substance found in phytoplankton in the oceans.
- 1. Top 4 health benefits of MSM
- 2. Notes when using MSM
1. Top 4 health benefits of MSM
1.1 Health benefits of MSM: Treatment of osteoarthritis and joint pain
✅ The anti-inflammatory properties of MSM are well documented by scientific research. MSM inhibits NF-kB, a protein complex involved in the inflammatory response in the body. In addition, MSM can increase the level of glutathione, a powerful antioxidant produced by your body. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties and restoration of collagen production, MSM can help form connective tissue and repair joints, tendons, and ligaments. MSM is often used topically on the skin. In addition, it is also taken as a part of the diet to relieve pain or osteoarthritis. A study of 100 people over 50 years of age found that treatment with a supplement containing 1,200 mg of MSM for 12 weeks reduced pain, stiffness, and swelling, compared to a placebo.
✅ In addition, it can enhance the effectiveness of other common supplements used to treat arthritis-like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin sulfate, and boswellic acid. One study found that combining MSM with glucosamine and chondroitin was more effective at reducing pain and stiffness in people with knee osteoarthritis than glucosamine and chondroitin alone. Another study found that daily supplements containing 5 grams of MSM and 7 grams of boswellic acid were more effective than glucosamine in reducing pain and improving function in people with knee osteoarthritis. Moreover, those who received MSM and boswellic acid were less dependent on anti-inflammatory drugs than glucosamine.
1.2 Health benefits of MSM: Reduce muscle pain and spasms during exercise
✅ Research shows that MSM can act as a natural pain reliever. MSM can naturally speed up muscle recovery after intense exercise by reducing inflammation and oxidative stress. A study in 18 men found that taking 50 mg of MSM powder per kg of body weight for 10 days significantly reduced exercise-induced muscle damage and increased antioxidant activity after running 8.7 miles (14 km). In one study, 22 healthy women received 3 grams of MSM or a placebo every day for three weeks. The MSM group reported fewer muscle aches and joint pain than the placebo group.
1.3 Health benefits of MSM: Helps reduce allergies
✅ After being exposed to an allergen, many inflammatory substances like prostate and cytokine are released, leading to unpleasant symptoms. Studies show that MSM can help reduce inflammation and reduce the release of cytokines and prostaglandins, this supplement may be helpful for managing allergic reactions, including itching, stuffy nose, shortness of breath, sneezing and coughing. A study in 50 people with allergic rhinitis found that a dose of 2,600 mg MSM daily for 30 days reduced symptoms including itching, stuffy nose, shortness of breath, sneezing, and coughing. Additionally, the participants experienced a significant increase in energy on the 14th.
1.4 Health benefits of MSM: Improve skin health
✅ Keratin is a protein that acts as a major structural component in hair, skin, and nails. It contains high levels of sulfur-containing cysteine amino acid. That’s why burnt hair gives off a characteristic sulfur smell. MSM can benefit skin health by providing sulfur for keratin. Applying topical creams containing MSM and silymarin helps reduce inflammation that contributes to erythema, allergies, or slows wound healing. This is because MSM has an inhibitory effect on inflammation. MSM is also essential for the production of collagen, a substance that helps prevent skin from becoming dry, saggy, wrinkled, and cracked.
2. Notes when using MSM
- MSM can be safe for most people when taken for up to 3 months or when applied on the skin in combination with other ingredients, such as silymarin or hyaluronic acid for 20 days.
- In some people, MSM can cause nausea, diarrhea, bloating, fatigue, headache, insomnia, itching, or aggravation of allergy symptoms.
- Using a lotion containing MSM on the lower limbs can increase swelling and pain in people with varicose veins.
- Pregnant and lactating women should consult their doctor before use, especially for oral formulations.
Recommended for you
🎁 Doctor’s Best MSM with OptiMSM, Joint Support, Immune System, Antioxidant and Protein-Building Role
✅ DOCTOR’S BEST MSM FEATURES OPTIMISM: with OptiMSM a high-quality purified MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) backed by numerous clinical studies for safety and efficacy.
- MSM is a natural sulfur that helps form the antioxidants N-acetylcysteine and glutathione and serves as a key structural nutrient in healthy joints. Improves joint function and helps protect cartilage, mobility, reduces joint pain, increases range of motion.
- MSM provides support for immune function, and for the body’s antioxidant and overall protective capacities resulting in a stronger immune response.
- MSM provides sulfur and is often called “nature’s beauty mineral”. Sulfur restores collagen production that supports healthy skin and is a building block of keratin, an essential protein for improving skin, hair, and nails.