Magnesium is an important mineral for the body. They only occupy a modest amount (about 30g) but are present in about 300 different enzymes to perform the task of regulating the function, regulating the energy metabolism that takes place in the body. Up to 50-75% of magnesium is combined with calcium and phosphorus to promote bone formation and bone strengthening. The remaining amount of magnesium is distributed in the muscles, soft tissue, blood, and male reproductive organs. Therefore, a diet that satisfies the body’s magnesium needs is one of the factors with many health benefits like prevent many diseases such as heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, osteoporosis, and increase the strength of male physiological health.
1. Top 5 Magnesium health benefits
1.1 Magnesium health benefits: Participate in hundreds of biological reactions in the body
✅ About 60% of the magnesium in your body is found in bones, while the rest is in muscles, soft tissues, and body fluids, including blood. In fact, every cell in the body contains it and needs it to function. One of the main roles of magnesium is to act as a substrate combined in the continuous biochemical reactions carried out by enzymes. It actually involves more than 600 reactions in our bodies, including:
- Generating energy: Helps convert food into energy.
- Gene maintenance: Helps create and repair DNA and RNA.
- Muscular motion: is part of the contraction and relaxation of the muscles.
- Regulating the nervous system: Helps regulate neurotransmitters, which send messages in the brain and nervous system.
✅ This shows that magnesium plays an important role in related physical activities. During exercise, you may need 10-20% more magnesium than when you rest. Studies have shown that magnesium supplementation enhances exercise performance for athletes, the elderly, and those suffering from chronic illnesses.
1.2 Magnesium health benefits: Good for the cardiovascular system
- Studies show that magnesium supplements can help lower blood pressure. In one study, people who took 450 mg daily had significantly reduced systolic and diastolic blood pressure. Specifically, magnesium only helps lower blood pressure for people with high blood pressure and has no effect on normal people.
- A magnesium-deficient diet leads to increased calcium ion penetration into cells and excretion of magnesium from the cells. This process imbalances the ions and leads to functional changes in the activity of the heart, which is one of the risk factors for myocardial ischemia (angina, infarction).
- On the other hand, science has proved that lecithin amino acid has the effect of regulating cholesterol metabolism in the body. However, lecithin is not synthesized enough without yeast containing pyridoxine (vitamin B6), which must be catalyzed by magnesium. Thus, to reduce blood cholesterol, a diet rich in magnesium and vitamin B6 is required.
1.3 Magnesium health benefits: Treatment of diabetes
✅ Magnesium also has positive effects on type 2 diabetes. Magnesium plays an important role in this metabolism and many people suffer from magnesium deficiency metabolic syndrome including diabetes. Magnesium supplementation can reduce insulin resistance and blood sugar, even in people with normal blood levels.
✅ A study of over 4,000 people in 20 years. It showed that people with higher magnesium intake were 47% less likely to have diabetes. In another study, people with diabetes who took high doses of magnesium every day significantly improved their blood sugar and hemoglobin A1c levels (an indicator that reflects blood sugar levels in the last 3 months).
1.4 Magnesium health benefits: Help fight depression
✅ Magnesium plays an important role in mood and mood functions, and low magnesium levels may increase the risk of depression. Some experts believe that modern magnesium-poor modern foods may be responsible for many cases of depression and mental illness. In a randomized trial of elderly people with depression, taking 450 mg of magnesium helped improve mood as effective as antidepressant medication.
1.5 Magnesium health benefits: Prevent migraines
✅ Migraines are quite painful and debilitating. Migraine sufferers often experience nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to noise, and light. Some researchers believe that people who suffer from migraines more often than others are due to magnesium deficiency. In one study, supplementing with 1 gram of magnesium reduced migraines faster and more effectively than conventional medications.
2. Magnesium-rich foods
The following foods are excellent sources of magnesium:
- Pumpkin seeds: 46% of the RDI in a quarter cup (16 grams).
- Boiled spinach: 39% of the RDI in a cup (180 grams).
- Boiled mustard greens: 38% of the RDI in cups (175 grams).
- Dark chocolate (70-85% cocoa): 33% of the RDI in 3.5 oz (100 grams).
- Black beans: 30% of the RDI in a cup (172 grams).
- Cooked barley seeds: 33% of the RDI in one cup (185 grams).
- Halibut: 27% of the RDI in 3.5 ounces (100 grams)
- Almonds: 25% of the RDI in a quarter cup (24 grams).
- Cashews: 25% of the RDI in a quarter cup (30 grams).
- Mackerel: 19% of the RDI for 3.5 ounces (100 grams).
- Avocado: 15% of the RDI in a medium avocado (200 grams)
- Salmon: 9% of the RDI for 3.5 ounces (100 grams).
3. Notes when using Magnesium
Magnesium should be supplemented with food, however, in some cases you can use supplements. When using this type, you should note the following:
- Easy-absorbing magnesium supplements include Magnesium citrate, Magnesium glycinate, Magnesium orotate, Magnesium carbonate.
- Although these supplements are generally well tolerated. However, magnesium can cause side effects such as shrinkage, vomiting, and diarrhea. If you have the above symptoms, you should try lower doses.
- Another side effect is a decrease in blood pressure. If you have low blood pressure, tell your doctor before taking the medication.
- The recommended amount for a day for men is 400- 420 mg and for women is 310- 320 mg. However, for some people taking this dose may cause loose stools. You can take it twice a day, 150-200 mg each, or use glycinate form. This form causes fewer problems when used.
Recommended for you
🎁 Doctor’s Best High Absorption Magnesium Glycinate Lysinate
✅ Magnesium Glycinate – 2.3x greater than magnesium carbonate, 3.6x greater than magnesium sulfate, 6.0x greater than magnesium oxide, Chelated magnesium is absorbed faster and at a higher rate than ionic salts. Helps promote high magnesium retention in the body. Better tolerated, minimizes laxative effect — even at therapeutic doses.
✅ Magnesium is an essential dietary mineral that plays many important roles which include: helping cells produce metabolic energy, supporting optimum nerve function, helping muscles relax properly, and maintaining a healthy heartbeat. Directions: As a dietary supplement, take 2 tablets twice daily, with or without food.