Inositol (vitamin B8) is a naturally occurring carbohydrate found in foods like fruits, legumes, grains, and nuts. The body can also produce inositol from carbohydrates in food. However, some studies suggest that inositol supplements may have many health benefits. The main function of this substance is to participate in the conversion of nutrients into energy. In humans, Inositol has been studied for its effectiveness in treating depression, stabilizing blood pressure, treating diabetes, and having effects on hair growth. Therefore, Inositol is often found in the ingredients table of premium damaged hair restoration and care products.
1. What is Inositol?
✅ Although commonly referred to as vitamin B8, inositol is completely not a vitamin but rather a sugar that has several important functions. Inositol plays a structural role in the body as a major component of cell membranes. However, it also affects the activity of insulin – a hormone needed for blood sugar control. In addition, it affects chemicals that transmit information in the brain, such as serotonin and dopamine, which are important neurotransmitters in the brain.
2. Top 4 Inositol health benefits
2.1 Inositol health benefits: Good for the mood
✅ Inositol can help balance important brain compounds including those thought to affect moods such as serotonin and dopamine. Researchers have found that some people with depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorder have lower levels of inositol in the brain. Although more studies on the effects of inositol are needed, some studies have shown that inositol is likely to be used as an alternative treatment for mental health conditions. It also seems to have fewer side effects than traditional medicines.
- Panic disorder: An inositol supplement may be helpful to treat the panic disorder as a serious form of anxiety. People with panic disorder often experience frequent panic attacks, which are sudden feelings of fear. Symptoms include tachycardia, shortness of breath, dizziness, sweating, and tingling or numbness in the hands. In a study conducted in 20 people with panic disorder, they used an inositol 18-gram supplement or the usual anxiety medicine for 1 month. The results showed that inositol users had fewer panic attacks per week than those taking anxiety medications.
- Depression: Inositol may improve depressive symptoms, but some studies have not found consistent results. For example, an early study demonstrated that supplementing with inositol 12 grams daily for 4 weeks improved symptoms in depressed people. In contrast, subsequent studies did not show any significant benefits of this compound. Overall, more in-depth studies are still needed to clarify this role of inositol.
2.2 Inositol health benefits: Improve symptoms of polycystic ovary syndrome
✅ Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a condition that causes hormonal imbalances in women, which can lead to irregular menstrual cycles and infertility. Weight gain, high blood sugar, and unwanted cholesterol and triglycerides may be the cause of PCOS.
✅ Inositol supplements can improve PCOS symptoms, especially when combined with folic acid. Clinical studies suggest that daily intake of inositol and folic acid can help lower blood triglyceride levels. Moreover, it can also improve insulin function and lower blood pressure in people with PCOS. In addition, some preliminary studies suggest that a combination of inositol and folic acid can promote ovulation in women with fertility problems from PCOS. In one study, supplementing with 4 grams of inositol and 400mcg of folic acid daily for 3 months resulted in ovulation in 62% of treated women.
2.3 Inositol health benefits: Control the metabolic syndrome
✅ Clinical studies show that inositol supplements may be beneficial for people with metabolic syndrome. A metabolic syndrome is a group of conditions that increase the risk of chronic disease including heart disease and type 2 diabetes. In a one-year clinical study conducted in 80 women with metabolic syndrome found that supplementing with 2 grams of inositol twice daily reduced blood triglyceride levels by 34% and total cholesterol by 22%. Improvements in blood pressure and blood sugar are also observed.
✅ Inositol also can prevent pregnancy diabetes (GDM) – a condition in which blood sugar is high during pregnancy. Studies offer some suggestions that a combination of 4 grams of Myo-inositol and 400mcg of folic acid may be helpful in preventing GDM when taken daily during pregnancy. But to better understand the function of inositol for GDM, more research is needed to have proof.
2.4 Inositol health benefits: Good for hair
- Reduce stress, prevent hair loss: Stress or depression are the consequences of stress, one of the consequences of this problem is hair loss. Inositol is a substance that helps to reduce nervous tension and reduce depression so the addition of this substance to the body will significantly reduce hair loss.
- Helps hair grow faster and grow healthily: Recent studies have shown that after taking Inositol, hair tends to grow faster and the hair is firmer and smoother than usual. Thanks to this discovery, Inositol is becoming more and more applied by hair care cosmetics brands to improve hair types that often use a lot of dyes, continuous curling, or hair broken due to bad effects from the environment and unhealthy care habits.
3. Foods that contain Inositol
- Heart, liver, the brain of animals: Inositol is found in many organs of the body such as liver, brain, heart, spleen, kidney, and even stomach. This is similar to the animal’s body, so if you want to supplement with inositol, you only need to use parts such as the liver, brain, the heart of pig, cow, goat … to put in your meal menu. Not only rich in vitamin B8, but foods from this animal organ also contain many different nutrients such as protein, protein, fat … at the same time adding many nutrients to the body.
- Eggs: Studies have shown that inositol is not only found in animal organs, but also in eggs, including chicken, duck, goose, and bird eggs … Eating lots of eggs helps inositol supplementation quickly and brings many benefits to health. In particular, the protein and inositol in eggs work together to help restore dry, damaged hair.
- Grains: Cereals are not only rich in vitamins, starches, minerals, fats, zinc iron, manganese but also have a “strange” nutrient called inositol. In particular, among grains, barley sprouts contain the largest amount of vitamin B8. You can use cereal grains to make delicious cakes, nutritious cereal drinks are also a safe way to supplement inositol.
- Leafy green vegetables: Green vegetables are popular indispensable products in family meals. Inositol is also found in green vegetables. Supplementing inositol from green vegetables helps the body to simultaneously absorb many nutrients.
- Molasses: Molasses molasses is thickened from natural sugarcane juice containing many different ingredients, including inositol. Do not forget to put molasses into daily use. You can use it to prepare nutritious drinks to cool down the summer, and you can use molasses to make cakes.
4. Notes when using Inositol
- Most inositol supplements seem to be well tolerated by everyone. However, it still has mild side effects that have been reported at doses of 12 grams daily or higher. Side effects that will cause symptoms to include nausea, bloating, trouble sleeping, headaches, dizziness, and fatigue.
- When increased to 4 grams of inositol per day and used by pregnant women, the results in studies showed no side effects. However, more in-depth studies are needed to prove this. In addition, there are currently insufficient studies to determine the safety of supplements while breastfeeding, although breast milk is known to be very rich inositol. Therefore, in this case, you should consult a physician before use.
- In addition, there is no clear evidence to suggest whether inositol supplements are safe for long-term use. Because, in most studies, inositol supplements were only taken for a year or less.
- You should follow the manufacturer’s recommended dose when treating the conditions listed above.
Recommended for you
🎁 Solgar – Choline/Inositol 500 mg/500 mg
- B-COMPLEX MEMBERS: Both Choline and Inositol are members of the B Complex and components cell membranes that provide key support for optimal cellular function
- COMBINED BENEFITS: Inositol and Choline promote normal, healthy nerve and brain function as well as provide support for energy metabolism
- ADDED CHOLINE BENEFIT: Choline is involved in the chemistry of the brain where it is used to synthesize acetylcholine. Acetylcholine is a critical neurotransmitter that is required for healthy brain function
- EXTRA SUPPORT: In addition to nerve and brain support, Choline/Inositol also supports liver health and it helps promote normal fat metabolism
- Directions: As a dietary supplement for adults, take two (2) vegetable capsules twice daily, preferably at mealtimes, or as directed by a healthcare practitioner.