“What to do when your child is lazy to eat” is a question many parents are concerned about. Anorexia in children not only affects development such as rickets, malnutrition … but also reduces immunity making children sicker. So how to cure anorexia in children?
1. Signs of Anorexia in children
✅ If the child exhibits the following, it can be said that the child is anorexic and requires parental intervention:
- Refusing to eat the entire serving or a meal usually lasts more than 30 minutes.
- Keep food in your mouth for long periods of time to swallow.
- Refuse to eat, run away, or cry when seeing food.
- There is a nausea reaction when seeing food.
- No continuous weight gain in 3 consecutive months.
2. Affects of Anorexia in children
- Malnutrition: The most significant consequence is malnutrition, children do not meet the growth indicators, stunted, short, thin, pale compared to their peers.
- Lack of nutrients: During development, children need a large number of nutritional needs each day. When a child refuses to eat, the source of nutrition will not meet the child’s developmental needs, including substances that the body needs only a very small amount of, but the deficiency will leave countless consequences. severe, such as vitamin A deficiency causes eye dryness, corneal dryness can lead to blindness, vitamin B1 deficiency can cause numbness; iron deficiency causes anemia; Lack of vitamin D, calcium causes rickets, body disorders.
- Children with mental retardation: Nutrition is one of the determinants of a child’s development. Anorexic children will be at risk of missing one or more important substances affecting the effective functioning of the brain such as Omega 3, Omega 6, DHA, Iron, Taurin, fat are substances that work effectively in the brain.
- A weakened immune system makes children very vulnerable: When a child’s diet is inadequate, the child’s body is not provided with all the essential nutrients, which help the body fight external pathogens. At this time the child’s resistance is seriously reduced. Therefore, children are susceptible to diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, respiratory tract, such as sore throat, upper respiratory tract infection, pneumonia …
- Affect emotional index: Anorexia children often have low EQ, children tend to be passive, irritable, difficult to integrate, in the long run, they can lead to autism, poor learning, distraction, and difficulty achieving….
3. Cause children anorexia
✅ There are many causes of anorexia in children, the most common are physiological and pathological causes. In particular, physiological anorexia is considered the most harmless form. However, if mothers do not detect early, the physiological anorexia will turn into psychological anorexia more difficult to treat. Therefore, mothers need to distinguish these two types of anorexia to establish scientific nutrition to help children develop comprehensively.
3.1 Due to physiology
✅ At each stage of development, children will learn a number of new skills such as crawling, walking, teething, learning to speak … there is a change in the body that leads to anorexia. Physiological anorexia is common in children 3-4 months, 9-12 months, 16-18 months … After this stage, children will start eating and developing normally again.
3.2 Due to pathology
- Children can have some gum disease, throat pain, and difficulty in chewing and swallowing leading to anorexia, skip meals.
- Children with digestive disorders: a symptom such as abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, constipation make babies lazy to eat, anorexia.
- Infection: The immature immune system of young children should be susceptible to some bacterial diseases. When suffering from these diseases, the content of vitamins and minerals is not absorbed, leading to reduced appetite, making children anorexia, and lazy to eat.
- In other cases, when the child is sick, using antibiotics leads to intestinal disorders, causing bloating, indigestion, and refusal to eat.
- Due to parasites: when infected with worms, tapeworms and other parasites can cause anorexia.
4. The solutions to overcome anorexia in children
4.1 With physiological anorexia
- First, you should find out if your child is really just physiological anorexia. The manifestation of this condition is that the child is not sick, still playing well but eating little.
- Parents can feed him or her several meals a day. At the same time, parents should also feed children their favorite foods, strange mouth, easy to swallow.
- You should not force children to overeat because it can cause fear and turn into anorexia nervosa, which is very harmful later. However, if after 2-3 weeks, the child’s anorexia does not change more positively, parents should take the baby to see a pediatric or nutrition specialist for timely advice and support.
4.2 With pathological anorexia
✅ When sick, children often tired leading to anorexia, laziness to eat. The lower amount of food intake leads to nutritional deficiencies, which makes the baby more tired and anorexia. Therefore, parents should pay attention to ensuring proper nutrition in the child’s daily diet to restore physical strength and increase resistance for the child. You can do the following:
- Prepare and present more attractive dishes to attract kids and stimulate children’s appetites.
- Establishing a baby’s diet needs to balance 4 groups of substances: protein, carbohydrate, fat, vitamins, and minerals.
- During the treatment of infectious diseases, it is necessary to supplement vitamin A, B vitamins, vitamin C, and minerals like magnesium and zinc for children.
- Do not abuse antibiotics because it is easy to cause an imbalance in intestinal microflora, making babies have bloating, indigestion, and anorexia.
- Relieve pain when teething or mouth ulcers.
- Create a happy, comfortable meal atmosphere for children to eat more delicious.
5. Recommended for you :
🎁 BioSchwartz | Probiotic 40 Billion CFU
✅ At BioSchwartz, they believe a healthy gut is a happy gut. Their mission is to empower you to elevate your quality of life through superior supplements. Their supplements are made with superior-quality ingredients to help you achieve optimal health from the inside out. Their top-selling Probiotic features the MAKTrek patented stomach acid protection and delivery system. This can allow strains to survive stomach acid and reach deep into the small intestine to support a healthy gut. Their advanced strength formula can even reach your large intestine. Adding probiotics to your daily routine has been shown to potentially help with:
- Supporting Digestive Health
- Restoring Natural Balance
- Immune System Support
- Promoting Regularity
- Boosting Nutrient Absorption
- Promoting Healthy Cholesterol