You probably already know that Glucosamine and chondroitin are supplements that benefit joints. They have an anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect in cases of arthritis quite effectively. You can use them in separate form as supplements. However, combining these two types of substances together will make a difference. Many studies have found the surprising effect of Glucosamine and Chondroitin on bone and joint problems when the two substances are combined together to support the prevention and treatment of osteoarthritis more effectively than Used alone 1 of 2 substances. The effects of Glucosamine and Chondroitin are also maximized when using together.
1. What are these 2 active ingredients?
- Glucosamine is a substance of endogenous origin, helps to make cartilage tissue in the body. Glucosamine is synthesized by the body, but that ability decreases with age. Glucosamine in the market is derived from the shell of shrimp, crab, and marine animals and there are 3 forms used in the treatment are Glucosamine sulfate, Glucosamine hydrochloride, and N-AcetylGlucosamine, of which the most effective form is the sulfate salt.
- Chondroitin is a natural component of the human body, a major component of cartilage that plays an important role in bearing joints, helping to build all connective tissue on the body including joints and sugars. Digest. Its mechanism of action is water retention, lubrication, and flexibility for tissues and joints. In addition, several studies have shown that Chondroitin is responsible for water metabolism and cartilage nutrition metabolism, making cartilage flexible and firm. In the laboratory, chondroitin is also prepared in the form of sulfate salts to improve its solubility and absorption. In life, chondroitin preparations are obtained from bovine (in cows) or from shark cartilage. For people with joint pain, osteoarthritis, and other signs of aging, Chondroitin has a very important role. It is often present in formulations containing supplements like Glucosamine and MSM.
2. Glucosamine health benefits
- Glucosamine is specific in the treatment of arthritis, osteoarthritis because it has 3 effects: stimulating cartilage production, reducing joint pain and anti-inflammatory in which, stimulating cartilage production plays the most important role.
- Glucosamine is a raw material for proteoglycan synthesis, which is the constituent of the matrix (cartilage) of cartilage. Once in the body, it will stimulate the articular cartilage cells to increase synthesis and polymerization so the proteoglycan structure is normal. In addition, Glucosamine sulfate will inhibit enzymes destroying articular cartilage such as collagenase, phospholipase A2 and reduce the destruction of cartilage cells by superoxide free radicals, while stimulating the connective tissue reproduction process of bone, reducing calcium loss of bone. When joint cartilage becomes inflamed or degraded, components such as Glucosamine sulfate, collagen type 2, hyaluronic acid, chondroitin, etc. also become deficient. The addition of these components gives cartilage cells enough material to produce new cartilage to compensate for degraded and damaged cartilage.
- In the body, joints are padded with fluid and cartilage surrounds. In some people with osteoarthritis, the damaged cartilage becomes thinner. This causes friction, pain, and stiffness. Taking Glucosamine supplements will increase cartilage regeneration and the fluid around joints or help prevent cartilage degeneration. Because Glucosamine increases the joint production of synovial fluid, it increases viscosity and lubricates the joint. Therefore, Glucosamine not only reduces the symptoms of arthritis, osteoarthritis (pain, difficulty moving) but also prevents this process from progressing worse.
- Glucosamine and its salts are widely used as licensed products or health enhancers in osteoarthritis diseases. Currently, on the market, there are many preparations combining Glucosamine with other ingredients such as chondroitin, vitamins, minerals, and pharmaceuticals such as frankincense extracts, which help increase the effectiveness of treatment and prevention of arthritis, regressive joint chemistry.
3. Chondroitin health benefits
- Treatment of osteoarthritis pain: Scientists have shown that chondroitin works to replenish and regenerate the articular cartilage layer in the human body. Like Glucosamine, Chondroitin (with the commonly used form of Chondroitin sulfate) plays a role in stimulating the synthesis of proteoglycan and has the ability to inhibit the enzymes that cause cartilage degeneration, especially the enzyme elastase. Surveys on osteoarthritis patients using chondroitin show that it reduces pain and helps fight symptoms of the disease. In addition, research on the use of chondroitin in patients with chronic osteoarthritis also has positive results. Studies have shown that using Chondroitin helps improve joint pain relief only after 2 to 3 months of regular replenishment and some people are even more effective and faster than normal. Typically, Chondroitin can be used alone or in combination with Glucosamine, MSM, or shark cartilage to treat osteoarthritis.
- Restoring injuries from playing sports: Using Chondroitin works to preserve cartilage and stimulate the body to create new cartilage, help joints flexibly, and control the body’s natural inflammatory response. Thereby helping to relieve pain, enhance self-healing activities, and increase physical function. In addition, it can also reduce joint fatigue for people who have just played sports or suffered injuries.
4. Notes when using a combination of Glucosamine and Chondroitin
✅ The use of Glucosamine is especially strong when it is combined with chondroitin. Chondroitin is also one of the most important substances in the process of tissue and cartilage regeneration, having the same effect as Glucosamine. Combining these two substances will increase the effectiveness of osteoarthritis treatment. However, keep in mind when using supplements that contain both of the above ingredients, as they can have side effects from both ingredients, including:
- Glucosamine in the market has 3 main forms: Glucosamine sulfate, Glucosamine hydrochloride, and N-acetyl Glucosamine. Of these, only sulfate salts are the most commonly used, and studies have shown a positive effect.
- Be careful when using Glucosamine or a combination of glucosamine in supplements (with MSM or chondroitin) for people who are allergic to seafood, shrimp, crabs, snails, oysters, … Patients with diabetes should be cautious when used because Glucosamine is essentially sugar.
- Chondroitin can cause a number of side effects such as diarrhea, constipation, hair loss, stomach pain, asthma, and some other skin symptoms. However, not everyone will experience the above side effects. If patients with asthma should be used with caution because the drug will make the disease worse.
- Chondroitin is not for children, pregnant or lactating women.
Recommended for you
🎁 Doctor’s Best Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM with OptiMSM Capsules, Supports Healthy Joint Structure, Function & Comfort
✅ Doctor’s Best Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM provides three important nutrients that help support healthy joints and connective tissues: glucosamine, chondroitin, and Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM, from OptiMSM). Glucosamine sulfate helps joint health for joint lubrication, better joint movement, and flexibility. Cartilage, composed of proteoglycans, is mainly located on bones, near the joints and consists primarily of collagen protein with side chains called chondroitin sulfate. MSM supplies bioavailable sulfur needed to support joint health, hair, skin, and nails. OptiMSM is purified via distillation for the highest purity and consistency and is an excellent source of bioavailable sulfur. Directions: As a dietary supplement, take 2 capsules twice daily, with or without food.