Collagen has long been considered a “golden” food for the beauty of women. Because the effect of collagen on the skin is very great. Collagen plays an important role to have healthy and beautiful skin over time, no longer worry about skin aging coming soon, helping you to stay young and radiant. Not only that, but the correct collagen supplement also gives you many other health benefits, which can be mentioned here such as strengthening muscles, reducing joint pain, or very good for the heart.
1. What is collagen?
✅ Collagen is a protein in the human body, up to 25% of the total protein in the body, and up to 70% of skin structure. It is distributed mainly in the dermis of the skin. In addition, Collagen also accounts for 1-2% of muscle tissue, and 6% of the weight of the muscles and tendons. Collagen’s main function is to connect the tissues in the body together, without which the human body would be only discrete parts. You can think of collagen as a kind of glue, keeping all the cellular tissue together. In Greek, collagen is called kólla, which means glue. The composition of collagen has at least 16 types, of which there are 3 main types are types I, II, and III, including:
- Type I: Type I accounts for 90% of the collagen in the body and is made up of dense fibers. It contributes to the structure of skin, bones, tendons, fibrous cartilage, connective tissue, and teeth.
- Type II: Type II is made up of more loose fibers and is found in elastic cartilage, joint cushioning.
- Type III: Type III supports the muscular, organ, and artery block structure.
✅ The older you get, the less collagen is produced and the quality decreases. In particular, the signs help you easily recognize that the skin is less firm and wrinkled, cartilage also weakens over time.
2. Collagen health benefits
2.1 Improve skin health
✅ As mentioned above, collagen makes up 70% of the structure in the skin. This protein plays a role in promoting skin health, elasticity, and hydration. As you age, your body produces less collagen, which leads to dry skin and wrinkle formation. In one study, women using supplements containing 2.5 to 5 grams of collagen for 8 weeks, the results showed that these women had less dry skin and significantly increased skin elasticity compared to those who do not use supplements. Another study found that women who drank a drink mixed with collagen supplements daily for 12 weeks reported that skin hydration increased and wrinkle depth was significantly reduced compared to the control group.
2.2 Helps relieve joint pain
✅ Collagen helps maintain cartilage integrity, which is the rubber-like tissue that protects your joints. Collagen is like a shield, helping to protect cartilage tissue from being dissipated over time so that the pain of arthritis will be relieved and no longer affect health. Researchers have theorized that collagen supplements can accumulate in cartilage and stimulate your tissues to produce collagen.
✅ In one study, 73 athletes who consumed 10 grams of collagen daily for 24 weeks had significantly reduced joint pain when walking and at rest, compared to a group that did not use. In another study, adults took 2 grams of collagen daily for 70 days. Those who took collagen significantly reduced joint pain and were more likely to participate in physical activity than those who did not. If you want to try taking a collagen supplement for analgesic effects, studies recommend starting with a dose of 8 – 12 grams daily.
2.3 Prevent bone loss
✅ Your bones are made primarily of collagen, which helps keep them strong and strong. Studies have shown that supplementing with collagen may have certain effects in the body that help inhibit bone breakdown leading to osteoporosis.
✅ In one study, women took a calcium supplement in combination with 5 grams of collagen or a calcium supplement and had no collagen daily for 12 months. At the end of the study, women who took calcium and collagen supplements had a significantly lower amount of protein that promotes bone breakdown than those who took only calcium. Another study found similar results in 66 women taking 5 grams of collagen daily for 12 months. Women who used collagen showed a 7% increase in bone mineral density (BMD) compared to women who did not consume collagen. BMD is a measure of mineral density, such as the calcium in your bones. Low BMD is associated with weak bones and the development of osteoporosis.
2.4 Increase muscle mass
✅ Muscle tissue is made up of 1% to 10% collagen. Collagen helps keep your muscles strong and functioning correctly. Studies show that collagen supplementation helps increase muscle mass in people with muscular dystrophy due to age-related loss of muscle mass. Researchers have also shown that using collagen can promote muscle protein synthesis like creatine, as well as stimulate muscle growth after exercise.
2.5 Promote cardiovascular health
✅ Researchers have theorized that supplementing with collagen may help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. Collagen provides the structure for arteries, which are blood vessels that carry blood from the heart to the body. Without enough collagen, arteries can become weak and fragile. This can lead to atherosclerosis, a disease characterized by stenosis of the arteries. Atherosclerosis can lead to heart attacks and strokes.
✅ In one study, 31 healthy adults took 16 grams of collagen daily for 6 months. In the end, they significantly reduced arterial stiffness compared to before they started taking supplements.
3. Foods that contain collagen
- Bone broths are probably one of the best options because they stimulate collagen production. A full broth of beef broth is actually beneficial for skin health or chicken broth contains collagen type II that supports joint function. Therefore, you should eat bone broth daily.
- Salmon contains zinc and minerals that stimulate collagen production. In addition, the omega-3 fats in salmon hydrate the skin to help keep the skin looking youthful. You should eat salmon 2 times a week.
- Green vegetables are the best foods to prevent various diseases. They may also prevent premature breakdown of collagen. Most green vegetables contain chlorophyll that increases the amount of procollagen in the skin. Chlorophyll protects the skin from harmful ultraviolet radiation and free radicals that lead to skin aging.
- Citrus fruits contain Vitamin C which helps the amino acids produce proline. Proline is an essential chemical for collagen production. Vitamin C also protects the body from environmental toxins. To get a good amount of vitamin C, you should eat fruits every day.
- Tomatoes contain lycopene, an antioxidant that helps protect the skin from ultraviolet light. Lycopene also stimulates collagen synthesis. For more lycopene, choose tomato juice and drink at least one glass a day.
- Avocado is a product containing vitamin E that helps prevent the breakdown of collagen in the body. In addition, avocado contains beneficial fats for the skin, in addition, avocado oil increases collagen production.
- Berries (strawberries, raspberries, cranberries) contain ellagic acid needed by the body to prevent the breakdown of UV-induced collagen.
- Eggs are a bone broth-like product that contains collagen. Your body can get it right from the yolk. Eggs also contain sulfur which is necessary for collagen production and detoxification. However, you should not eat too much, only 2 eggs a day is enough.
- Pumpkin seeds are a source of stimulants for collagen production. Foods that contain zinc slows down the breakdown of protein. In addition, zinc increases the rate at which skin regeneration is necessary for healthy skin.
- Chia seeds contain omega-3 fats that stimulate the rejuvenation and hydration of skin cells. The skin becomes smooth. An adult should eat up to 200g per day. You can add them to cereals, smoothies, or baked goods.
4. Notes when using Collagen
When using collagen as a supplement, you should keep the following in mind:
- Supplements containing collagen seem to be safe for most people.
- Some supplements are made from common food allergens, such as fish, shellfish, and eggs. People who are allergic to these foods should avoid collagen supplements made with these ingredients to prevent allergic reactions.
- Some people have also reported that collagen supplements leave an unpleasant taste in the mouth.
- In addition, collagen supplements have the potential to cause digestive side effects, such as feelings of fullness and heartburn.
5. Recommended for you :
🎁 Doctor’s Best Collagen Types 1 & 3 with Peptan, Non-GMO, Gluten-Free, Soy Free, Supports Hair, Skin, Nails, Tendons & Bones
✅ Doctor’s Best Collagen Types 1 and 3 contain BSE-Free hydrolyzed collagen protein, which contributes to the growth and maintenance of healthy tissues. Collagen is the structural protein essential for the strength and flexibility of bones, joints, tendons, ligaments, hair, skin, nails, and other tissues throughout the body. Vitamin C is added to the formula as an important nutrient required for collagen synthesis by the body. Directions: Take 4 capsules twice daily on an empty stomach at least 30 minutes before meals. Do not mix with other protein powder supplements.