Selenium is a mineral found in soil and naturally occurring in foods (such as whole grains, nuts, sunflower seeds, and seafood). Selenium is not produced in the body, but it is essential for the functioning of the thyroid gland and the function of the immune system. Benefits selenium for health is due to its antioxidant properties and neutralization of free radicals. These active antioxidants are the subject of concern for the effects of skin beautification, preventing the formation of atherosclerotic plaques and preventing cancer.
1. What is Selenium?
✅ Selenium is a trace metal in the human body that is especially important as a component of glutathione peroxidase, an enzyme important in preventing cell damage by free radicals and oxidative reactions of the body. Selenium is found in nuts and in seafood. You can get this micronutrient with your daily diet, or in some cases, you may need to supplement it with supplements in higher amounts.
2. Benefits health Selenium
2.1 Benefits Selenium : Antioxidant
✅ Daily activities such as eating, smoking, stress, polluted environment … produce and accumulate free radicals in the body. It damages cell membranes, DNA, and is the main cause of aging and the development of chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease … Selenium will act as an antioxidant, neutralizing the free radicals through electronic ceding to disable them.
- Improve heart health: Consuming selenium-rich foods helps boost heart health. As an anti-inflammatory in nature, Selenium helps increase blood flow and destroys harmful free radicals that cause stress and oxidation. Studies have shown that, when combined with other nutrients like vitamin E and beta-carotene, Selenium contributes to normalizing cholesterol levels. It also helps improve the level of glutathione peroxidase antioxidants and reduces the level of oxidative stress in your body. Selenium restricts the buildup of plaque in arteries and limits the formation of atherosclerotic plaques – the cause of high blood pressure, stroke, and heart attack.
- Enhance immunity: Selenium as an immune booster and protects the immune system from the attack of free radicals. This mineral is very important, especially for people with weakened immune systems because it can limit the development of harmful viruses, such as HIV.
- Improving the reproductive system: Selenium is good for fertility in both men and women. It helps improve blood flow to the reproductive organs and maintains proper sperm motility. Low selenium concentrations can lead to male infertility. The antioxidants in selenium improve the chances of sperm fertilizing an egg.
- Reduced risk of cancer: Laboratory studies have shown that Selenium helps repair DNA and inhibits cancer cell progression.
- Selenium actively fights off the free radicals present in your body. It destroys free radicals that damage cells and prevents the appearance of wrinkles, blemishes, and other signs of aging. It also helps your skin not to be affected by oxidants, free radicals, and UV rays. Selenium is also considered a natural treatment for acne.
2.2 Benefits Selenium : Poisoning
✅ Selenium has the ability to bind to heavy metals (mercury, lead, arsenic, cadmium, etc.) along with a special protein (glutathione peroxidase) which inactivates these metals and increases their elimination route by urine.
2.3 Benefits Selenium : Activate thyroid hormone
✅ The thyroid gland plays an important role in the metabolism, growth, and development of the body. Selenium is an important micronutrient in the activity of the thyroid gland. In fact, the thyroid gland contains more selenium than any other organ in the body. Selenium helps thyroid cells avoid being damaged by oxidants. It also plays a role in the production of thyroid hormones. Selenium in the composition of iodothyronine deiodinase is related to the synthesis of triiodothyronine hormone (T3) from thyroxin (T4). People who are regularly deficient in selenium may be deficient in iodine, so selenium needs to be provided to prevent thyroid disease, especially children.
3. Selenium Foods list
✅ Selenium foods are diverse. They not only taste delicious but also bring many health benefits and prevention of diseases related to cardiovascular, thyroid …
- Brazil Almonds: According to nutrition experts, the most effective source of Selenium for vegetarians is almonds of Brazilian origin. Supplementing with Brazil nuts every day will reduce bad cholesterol while stimulating the production of good cholesterol for the body.
- Sunflower seeds: Sunflower seeds are not just a delicious and convenient snack that many people love. It is also a food source of Selenium, essential for the body.
- Pinto beans: The most effective way to supplement selenium with food is to add to the daily menu of dishes made with pinto beans. This bean is not only rich in selenium but also has many other minerals like folate, manga, thiamine, copper, magnesium …
- Beef: Beef and especially grass-fed cows contain high levels of selenium.
- Sardines, salmon, tuna: Salmon is known as the best and healthiest food on the planet. Therefore, many nutrition experts encourage people to add Selenium to this food. In recent years, sardines have been a favorite cooking ingredient. They are a good source of selenium as well as fatty acids. These substances have many benefits for the body such as fighting inflammation, boosting the immune system, and brain development.
- Oats: Oats are one of the most effective Selenium supplements. Not only that, but it also has a lot of soluble fiber which helps reduce cholesterol in the blood and prevent oxidation, free radicals.
- Chicken: Chicken is processed in a variety of ways and becomes a favorite food for many people. This is also a good source of Selenium supplements. Along with that, it also contains large amounts and tryptophan amino acids help stabilize the mind, reduce stress effectively.
- Spinach: Not only does it contain impressive levels of vitamin K, spinach, also known as spinach, is also a source of selenium and many other essential nutrients.
4. Note when using Selenium
- You should supplement selenium with the right foods. Also, in some cases, selenium can be supplemented with supplements. The daily recommended amount of selenium in food is 55 mcg/day for people 14 and older, and the maximum tolerated daily is 400 mcg/day. High doses (> 1000mcg / day) can cause poisoning. Children should use 3,3mcg / kg of body weight (According to the CDC Agency of the United States)
- When using supplements to take Selenium supplements you may experience a few cases: Diarrhea, Itchy skin, Nausea, and vomiting.
- tired. However, not everyone experiences the above side effects.
- The drug usually does not harm pregnant or lactating women. However, you should still consult your physician before using it to prevent other risks.
5. Recommed for you :
🎁 Nature’s Way Selenium 200 mcg
✅ Nature’s Way is the preeminent brand of quality dietary supplements with over 1,000 product offerings. They have been at the forefront of the herbal health industry. An early leader in educating consumers and retailers on the effectiveness and safety of herbal supplements, they have always supported legislative efforts that help protect health freedoms, and are constantly striving to promote better health through the power of nature.
✅ Nature’s Way Selenium is carefully produced to superior quality standards and is naturally gluten-free. Selenium is an essential component of glutathione, the body’s most potent antioxidant system. Use: Take 1 capsule daily, preferably with food.