5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) is a compound produced in the body from tryptophan amino acid (tryptophan, an essential amino acid that the human body receives from food). After tryptophan is converted to 5-HTP, it is converted to another chemical called serotonin (a neurotransmitter, a signaling agent between brain cells). Supplements containing 5-HTP have become popular because it’s health benefits like can increase the body’s serotonin levels that help regulate mood and behavior, affecting Positive to sleep, mood, anxiety, appetite, and feelings of pain. 5-HTP is made from a seed called Griffonia simplicifolia of Africa.
1. Top 5-HTP benefits
1.1 5-HTP benefits: Improve mood
✅ Several small clinical trials have found that 5-HTP is as effective as antidepressant medication to treat people with mild to moderate depression. Like an antidepressant called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor, including fluoxetine (Prozac) and sertraline (Zoloft), 5-HTP increases serotonin levels in the brain. In a six-week clinical trial, 63 people were taking 5-HTP (100 mg three times a day) or antidepressants (fluvoxamine, 50 mg three times a day). 5-HTP was found to be as effective as an antidepressant, with fewer side effects.
1.2 5-HTP benefits: Treatment of insomnia
✅ Serotonin is converted into melatonin, a hormone necessary to regulate the wake-sleep cycle. Because 5-HTP increases serotonin levels can increase melatonin, which helps normalize sleep. Melatonin is known as a hormone produced by the pineal gland of the body. This is a small seed about the size of a pea, located in the middle of the brain. They release melatonin at night and work to make the nervous system feel sleepy quickly. After that, it gradually decreases as the sun begins to rise. It can be said that Melatonin is a hormone responsible for regulating sleep, ensuring the biological time of the body. In one study, people who took 5-HTP slept faster and slept deeper than those who took a placebo. Researchers recommend 200-400 mg at night to stimulate serotonin, but it can take 6 to 12 weeks to take effect.
1.3 5-HTP other benefits
- Migraine relief: Several studies have shown that 5-HTP can prevent migraines and reduce the frequency and severity of migraines. In one study, 124 people were given 5-HTP (600 mg/day) or methysergide. After 6 months, 5-HTP was found to be as effective as methysergide in reducing the severity and duration of migraines. Another study looked at 5-HTP or propranolol for 4 months. Both treatments led to a statistically significant reduction in the frequency of migraines. However, the propranolol group showed better results, with a reduction in the duration of episodes and the number of analgesics used to treat the episodes.
- Myalgia: Research shows that 5-HTP can improve symptoms of fibromyalgia, including pain, stiffness in the morning, and fatigue. Many people with fibromyalgia have low serotonin levels, and doctors often prescribe antidepressants. Like antidepressants, 5-HTP increases serotonin levels in the brain. However, more research is needed to understand its effectiveness.
2. Notes when using 5-HTP
- Potential side effects of 5-HTP include nausea, dizziness, and diarrhea. Allergic reactions to supplements may occur.
- If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, you should only take the medication as recommended by your doctor.
- 5-HTP can be safe for children when taken properly. Maximum doses of 5 mg/kg/day have been used safely for 3 years in infants and children over 12 years of age.
- You should stop using 5-HTP two weeks before surgery because 5-HTP can affect serotonin. Certain medications used during surgery may also affect serotonin. Taking 5-HTP before surgery can cause too much serotonin in the brain and lead to serious side effects including heart problems, tremors, and anxiety.
- 5-HTP may change the ability of other drugs you are taking or increase the effects of side effects. To avoid drug interactions, you should consult your doctor.
Recommended for you
🎁 NOW Supplements, 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) 100 mg, Neurotransmitter Support
✅ Since 1968 NOW has been a leader in the natural products industry. Even when healthy foods and natural supplements weren’t mainstream, we’ve never wavered from our mission – to provide value in products and services that Empower people to lead healthier lives. 5-HTP, the intermediate metabolite between the amino acid L-tryptophan and serotonin, is extracted from the seed of an African plant (Griffonia simplicifolia). This dietary supplement is typically used as a sleep supplement and supports a positive mood and relaxation. 5-HTP supports the production of serotonin in the brain and central nervous system; serotonin can impact sleep, mood, appetite, and body temperature. Directions: Take 1 capsule daily, preferably on an empty stomach at bedtime.
Leave a Reply