Verbena (Blue Vervain) is an herb that has been used in many parts of the world. They grow naturally throughout most of Europe and China and are common in the tropics and subtropics. According to Eastern medicine, verbena has many health benefits, leaves and flowers of verbena are formulated into drugs with antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-proliferating cancer cells, preventing stone formation kidney, pleasant aroma, sedative. Nowadays, scientists have discovered important substances in this herb, the use of verbena extract in modern medicine is becoming more and more widespread.
- 1. The active ingredient in verbena
- 2. Verbena health benefits
- 3. Notes when using Verbena
1. The active ingredient in verbena
✅ The whole plant contains a crystalline glucoside called verbenalin or verbenalozite crystalline colorless, odorless, bitter taste. Glucoside is an important active ingredient in the treatment of ascites, hepatitis, and other jaundice. There are also enzymes invectin and emunxin enzymes. These enzymes at high temperatures can hydrolyze glucose to glucose and verbenalola. Therefore, when drying, the rate of glucoside can be reduced by more than 25%.
2. Verbena health benefits
2.1 Verbena health benefits: Pain Relief and Anti-Inflammatory
✅ Several studies have looked at Verbena’s anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects, both in topical and oral formulations. As a result, they are all effective at reducing edema (swelling) like traditional anti-inflammatory drugs, but it can greatly reduce pain.
✅ You may not know, inflammation is the cause of most diseases. When you can reduce inflammation in the body, you can improve a lot of different chronic diseases. One of the top benefits of vervain is its ability to reduce inflammation both internally and externally. Research published in the international journal Planta Medica has shown that vervain extract has a remarkable anti-inflammatory effect.
2.2 Verbena health benefits: Treatment of insomnia
✅ Verbena tea has long been thought to have a calming effect that can help reduce stress and promote sleep. The reason is that verbenallin content in verbena has psychophysiological properties, can cause positive effects on the central nervous system and adrenal glands (produces stress hormones). Studies show that Vervain extract not only reduces anxiety and insomnia but also prevents the occurrence of seizures.
2.3 Verbena health benefits: Anti-Infections
✅ Nowadays, the increasing resistance of bacteria makes the use of herbs with antibacterial effects from nature become a necessity. Vervain has long been used to treat infections of the upper respiratory tract and urinary tract. According to the study, Vervain extracts can kill Staphylococcus aureus and Pseudomonas aeruginosa (these are very dangerous bacteria in the body) in vitro more effectively than amoxicillin antibiotics. Research has shown the effectiveness of vervain in treating small cuts and skin infections. Due to its effective anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and antibacterial effects, Vervain extract is used as a mouthwash to treat sore throat, stomatitis and improve chronic generalized gingivitis without negative side effects.
2.4 Verbena health benefits: Other benefits
- Cardiovascular protection: Vervain has been shown to contain a natural plant glycoside called verbenalin or cornin. Cornin is an active substance that protects the body when it is myocardial anemia – where blood flow is reduced to the heart due to partial or complete obstruction of the heart’s arteries.
- Treatment of kidney stones: Traditional medicine has long used vervain to treat kidney stones. This is because vervain appears to increase urine output, which may help prevent the formation of kidney stones. The special thing is that it does not increase the excretion of sodium as diuretics but by direct stimulation to the kidneys. This effect makes vervain safer to use because it does not excrete potassium and calcium from the body.
- Treatment of liver diseases: People have long used Vervain as an herb to treat ascites and jaundice (due to hepatitis).
3. Notes when using Verbena
✅ Verbena is safe for most people to drink. You can use herbal teas, extracts, or supplements, all of which work. However, the extract form and supplements will give you a more accurate dosage. If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, consult a physician before use.
Recommended for you
🎁 Herb Pharm Certified Organic Blue Vervain Liquid Extract
✅ Herb Pharm prepares Organic Blue Vervain extract from the flowering tops of Verbena hastata plants. They grow the herb on our own Organic farms in southern Oregon. It is also known as American Blue Vervain. Directions: Shake well before using. Two or three times per day take 30 to 40 drops in a little water.