Senna is an herb. The leaves and fruit of the tree are used for medicinal purposes. Senna leaves contain the active ingredient anthraquinones, which are strong laxatives and are relatively safe to use. Senna leaf extract is an FDA-approved laxative. It is used to treat constipation and also to clean the intestines before diagnostic tests such as colonoscopy. Senna leaf dry extract is also used for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and hemorrhoids due to its hemostatic effect.
1. Senna health benefits
1.1 Treatment of constipation
✅ Senna is a short-term medication for the treatment of constipation effectively. Not only that, but Senna is also used to stimulate digestion, help laxative, limit symptoms of bloating, indigestion. When entering the body, Senna works by stimulating peristalsis in the intestine, thereby increasing the intestinal secretion system. Senna also prevents water and electrolytes from being reabsorbed from the colon, increasing intestinal fluids and softening the stool. Thanks to the laxative effect, senna is used as a drug to clean the intestines before colonoscopy tests. However, when using Senna to treat constipation you should note the following:
- Senna’s activity is very high, just use the right dose, avoid an overdose. If used in too large doses will cause strong diarrhea, causing the body to lose water suddenly and very dangerous to health.
- Anthraglucosid – the active ingredient is believed to be effective in treating constipation, excreted in urine and milk, so the nursing mother using Phan cholera, she also had diarrhea.
2. Notes when using Senna
When using senna extract or senna-containing supplements to treat constipation, keep the following in mind :
- Senna can cause side effects such as Brownish urine, dizziness, nausea, stomach cramps.
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding needs to take medication as directed by your doctor in this case.
- Avoid using senna for a long time as this may cause impairment of liver function, electrolyte disorders, and changes in heart rate.
3. Recommended for you :
🎁 Traditional Medicinals Organic Smooth Move Senna Laxative Tea
✅ From field to cup, Traditional Medicinals make sure their teas deliver the benefits of these amazing plants. To deliver consistent high-quality teas, they source organically farmed or organically wild-collected herbs from ethical trading partnerships, seeking out medicinal-grade plants. Only a small fraction of the world’s herb supply meets its high-quality standards. Traditional Medicinals source their Senna primarily from small family farmers in India’s the Thar Desert.
✅ Directions: For relief of occasional constipation. Smooth Move® generally produces a bowel movement in 6-12 hours. Adults and children 12 years and older: Drink 1 cup preferably at bedtime. Warnings: Do not use senna when abdominal pain, nausea, or vomiting are present unless directed by a doctor. Senna should not be used for a period of longer than 1 week unless directed by a doctor.