Sea Buckthorn is a plant named to avoid confusion with the Buckthorns in the Rhamnaceae family, originating from a series of northern hemispheres from the Atlantic coast of Europe across China. Much of the Sea Buckthorn can be found growing in China. It is an important food source for many birds and animals and is a very high source of nutrition. Sea buckthorn is found in popular Ayurvedic remedies and is an indispensable ingredient in many traditional Chinese remedies from supporting your heart health to protecting against diabetes and stomach ulcers. In addition, in recent years, sea buckthorn oil has become popular as an ingredient in skincare products. When applied topically, sea buckthorn oil is believed to have a moisturizing effect on the skin, reducing irritation.
1. The active ingredient in Sea Buckthorn
✅ Sea buckthorn is a good source of Vitamin C and other antioxidant flavonoids besides minerals (potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, and phosphorus), essential fatty acids, amino acids, and Vitamin E. In particular, vitamin C content fairly high, reaching 1550 mg per 100 grams of material. Sea buckthorn oil contains lots of antioxidants (anthocyanins), which help protect your body against aging and diseases like cancer and heart disease. Especially, more than half of the fat found in sea buckthorn oil is unsaturated fat, which is the healthy type. Sea buckthorn oil may also be one of the only plant foods known to provide all four omega fatty acids – omega-3, omega-6, omega-7, and omega-9.
- Omega-3: Studies show that omega 3 may provide positive cardiovascular effects. It provides possible protection against autoimmune disorders and supports a healthy inflammation response.
- Omega-7: This fatty acid is incredible for health but hard to find in nature. Omega 7 provides cellular health and moisture. It can soothe the digestive system but is also great for beauty and anti-aging.
- Omega-6: This essential fatty acid may provide blood pressure support. It provides excellent support for skin conditions and brain function.
- Omega-9: May help glucose and insulin levels stay in balance. Studies show autoimmune/ inflammatory support and treatment for wounds or skin lesions.
2. Sea Buckthorn health benefits
2.1 Help control diabetes
✅ Sea buckthorn oil may help prevent diabetes. Animal studies show that sea buckthorn oil can help lower blood sugar levels by increasing insulin secretion and insulin sensitivity (insulin is the body’s hormone secreted by the pancreas to transport glucose from the bloodstream into the cell). In a small 2010 study in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, researchers found that sea buckthorn can help control blood sugar levels and protect against type 2 diabetes. The experiment involved 10 healthy volunteers, the authors of the study found that adding sea buckthorn to meals prevented postprandial hyperglycemia.
2.2 Sea buckthorn oil helps protect your skin
✅ The active ingredients in sea buckthorn oil can enhance the health of your skin when applied topically. The high content of omega-3 and omega-7 fats contained in sea buckthorn oil can help stimulate skin regeneration, help heal wounds quickly, reduce inflammation after UV exposure, and protect against the harmful effects of the sun. There is also some evidence that sea buckthorn oil can prevent skin dryness and help keep your skin from burns, and sores. According to a 1999 study in the Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, sea buckthorn oil may also help treat atopic dermatitis (a type of eczema).
2.3 Sea Buckthorn other benefits
- Promotes heart health: Sea buckthorn may be beneficial for heart health in a variety of ways. The antioxidants of sea buckthorn oil may help reduce risk factors for cardiovascular disease including blood clots, hypertension, and blood cholesterol levels. In one study, 12 healthy men were given 5 grams of sea buckthorn oil daily use. After four weeks, the men in the sea buckthorn oil group showed significantly lower blood clotting. In another study, it was shown that drinking 0.75 ml of sea buckthorn oil daily for 30 days reduced blood pressure levels in people with high blood pressure. Triglyceride levels, as well as LDL cholesterol, also decrease in people with high cholesterol.
- Strengthen the immune system: Flavonoids are plant antioxidants in sea buckthorn oil that boost the immune system, helping you increase resistance to diseases. In a test-tube study, it was shown that sea buckthorn oil stopped the growth of bacteria like E. coli, fighting off flu and herpes.
- Healthy liver support: Sea buckthorn oil may also contribute to a healthier liver. That’s because sea buckthorn oil contains healthy fats, vitamin E, and carotenoids, all of which can protect liver cells from damage. In one study, people with cirrhosis – a form of progressive liver disease – were given 15 grams of sea buckthorn extract or a placebo three times daily for six months. As a result, people in the sea buckthorn group significantly increased their liver function index than those who took a placebo.
- Cancer prevention: The active ingredients in sea buckthorn oil may help fight cancer. Antioxidants such as flavonoids, carotenoids, and vitamin E in sea buckthorn work to eliminate free radicals – the cause of cancer and prevent the spread of cancer cells.
3. Notes when using Sea Buckthorn
When using Sea buckthorn oil to improve health conditions, you should keep the following in mind:
- When used on the skin to treat burns, sea buckthorn sometimes causes a rash.
- Sea buckthorn can slow blood clotting when used as medicine. There is some concern that sea buckthorn may increase the risk of bruising and bleeding in people with bleeding disorders.
- Hypotension: Sea buckthorn can lower blood pressure when taken with medication. Theoretically, sea buckthorn can cause blood pressure to be too low for people with low blood pressure, which will cause headaches, dizziness, and palpitations.
- Sea buckthorn can slow blood clotting when used as medicine. There is some concern that it may cause bleeding during and after surgery. You should stop using sea buckthorn at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.
- If you are pregnant or nursing, consult your doctor before use.
4. Recommended for you :
🎁 Sea Buckthorn Oil Blend, Omega-7 Complete
✅ This natural blend addresses many needs and has many uses. It contains Omegas 3, 7, 6 & 9. Skin, immunity, cardiovascular, digestive, and liver support are all benefits of Omega-7 Complete. This blend is also great for cellular health and moisture throughout the body. People suffering from dry cell conditions enjoy using this product. Due to its fatty acid and antioxidant content, it encourages a healthy inflammation response. Directions: Take 1-2 tablets, twice daily.
🎁 Sea Buckthorn Berry Oil – 100% Certified Organic, 1.76-Ounces Bottle
✅ Sea Buckthorn berry oil provides a rich supply of Omega 7 (30-35%), vitamins E and A, and the presence of the legendary SOD (superoxide dismutase), among other valuable nutrients, make this sea buckthorn berry oil invaluable for your health and beauty routine. The synergistic effect of the above nutrients with hundreds of others makes sea buckthorn berry oil a very effective beauty and age-defying product that is good for skin, gastrointestinal, and urinary health, as well as hair and nails.