Pygeum (Pygeum africanum) is a natural remedy extracted from the bark of the African plum tree. This herb has been used to treat bladder diseases since ancient times. In fact, some Aboriginal people in South African tribes still use it by boiling the bark into tea. In the 1960s, Europeans began using Pygeum Extract to treat mild to moderate benign prostatic hyperplasia. Pygeum is currently believed to help improve symptoms in hypertrophic patients such as increasing urine flow, reducing residual urine, and shrinking prostate enlargement, especially when combined along with other valuable herbs like Saw Palmetto.
1. The active ingredient in Pygeum
The research results show that Pygeum africanum extract affects the target organ of the prostate in men based on three active groups:
- Phytosterols: including beta-sitosterol, have anti-inflammatory activity by preventing the formation of prostaglandins – an inflammatory substance that tends to accumulate in the prostate gland of patients.
- Pentacyclic Terpenes group: has anti-edematous activity.
- Ferulic Acid’s Ester group: acts primarily on the endocrine system. This active ingredient helps reduce the synthesis of Dihydrotestosterone – which is thought to be a major participant in prostate hypertrophy.
2. Pygeum health benefits
2.1 Treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia
✅ BPH, or enlarged prostate, is a common sexual health condition. It mainly affects men over 50. Pygeum may moderately improve urinary symptoms associated with BPH, a condition marked by enlargement of the prostate gland. Several studies show that Pygeum can significantly reduce the number of times a patient needs to wake up at night to urinate. A 2000 study, listed Pygeum extract as a leading alternative remedy for BPH symptoms. The mechanism of action of Pygeum on this condition is as follows:
- Suppression of prostate proliferation: Scientists have identified Pygeum africanum extract that inhibits the enzyme 5-alpha reductase which prevents testosterone from turning into dihydrotestosterone (DHT) – a hormone that increases prostate cell proliferation.
- Phytosterols, such as beta-sitosterol in Pygeum, help prevent the production of prostaglandins – a substance that causes prostatitis.
✅ A 2014 study showed Pygeum extract, which can effectively treat prostatitis. Research shows that Pygeum extract may have some antioxidant activity. It regulates oxidative stress and inflammation in the prostate, kidney, or urinary tract. Therefore, Pygeum extract can help reduce prostatitis symptoms including frequency of urination, night urination, pain, and inflammation.
2.3 Pygeum other benefits
- Preventing hair loss: male pattern baldness is usually aggravated by the presence of dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT is an endogenous hormone in the body, converted by testosterone. DHT’s activity is 5 times stronger than testosterone when the body does not have enough testosterone, DHT will form. When DHT levels rise in the blood, it will impact on the hair follicles to make them shrink, resulting in the hair not receiving enough nutrients, the hair will be thin, weak, prone to hair loss and difficult to regrow. As a DHT inhibitor, Pygeum bark extract is very good for men who are suffering from hair loss.
- Help boost libido: Some people using Pygeum extract have stated it helps enhance libido. If you are looking to improve fertility, or if your sperm count or motility decreases, using this supplement may possibly increase hormone production and prevent inflammation that may affect your ability to reproduce. The drawback is that the studies on the effects of Pygeum extract on enhancing libido are too few.
3. Notes when using Pygeum
- Pygeum is quite safe when used properly. However, some people may experience side effects, including nausea, diarrhea, and constipation. If you experience any of the above, you should reduce the dose or stop using it completely and consult a doctor.
- You should not use Pygeum if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Pygeum is also not labeled child safe and should not be used on them.
4. Recommended for you :
🎁 NOW Supplements, Pygeum & Saw Palmetto with Pumpkin Seed Oil
✅ Since 1968 NOW has been a leader in the natural products industry. Even when healthy foods and natural supplements weren’t mainstream, we’ve never wavered from our mission – to provide value in products and services that empower people to lead healthier lives.
✅ Saw palmetto extract is one of the world’s leading herbal products for prostate support. Widely-cited clinical studies conducted during the 1980s have clearly established the ability of Saw palmetto extract to significantly support prostate-related urinary function. Saw palmetto’s key active ingredients help to enhance prostate gland structure, as shown in clinical studies where saw palmetto extract promoted healthy urinary functions and prostate structure; quality of life scores also improved.
✅NOW Pygeum & Saw Palmetto is a combination of botanical extracts that promote healthy urinary tract function. Each of these plant extracts is known to help support healthy urinary flow and healthy prostate function. NOW has utilized Pumpkin Seed Oil as a base for this product as a nutritional oil contributing essential fatty acids and phytosterols that are important for men’s health. Directions: As an herbal dietary supplement (especially for men), take 2 soft gels twice daily with meals.