Passionflower is a climbing plant native to the Southeastern United States and southern America. Spanish explorers have named these plants because they resemble a cross. In Christian traditions, ” Passion ” is a term used to describe the end of Jesus Christ’s life, including his crucifixion. The whole plant is used for medicinal purposes, but the stem and leaves seem to have the highest amount of chemical activity. Many natives in Europe have used it as an herb to treat certain diseases, such as insomnia, heart failure, anxiety, etc.
1. The active ingredient in Passionflower
✅ Passionflower contains several types of antioxidant compounds such as vitexin, isovitexin, kaempferol, quercetin, rutin, apigenin, and luteolin glycoside. It also contains indole alkaloids: fatty acids, maltol, phytosterols, sugars. In addition, this herb also contains useful vitamins and some minerals such as vitamin A, sodium, phosphorus, calcium, iron, … These ingredients help Passionflower have sedative, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxygen effects chemical effect.
2. Passionflower health benefits
2.1 Relieves nervous tension
✅ Early studies show that Passionflower can help reduce insomnia and anxiety. It raises the level of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) in your brain. This compound reduces brain activity, which can help you relax and sleep better. The study also showed that the antioxidants in this herb (saponins, flavonoids, and alkaloids) have the ability to affect the central nervous system, help reduce anxiety, psychological anxiety, and help good sleep, deep sleep, and improve common sleep disorders. Besides, Passionflower also contains many amino acids, vitamins, sugars, and minerals that purify the body, improve health, reduce fatigue, and prevent depression. Especially for some people with depression related to menopause, this herb may be the most effective herb for them.
✅ In a study published in 2008, 60 patients were randomized to receive Passionflower or placebo 90 minutes before surgery. Research results show that people receiving Passionflower have lower levels of anxiety, leading researchers concluded that drinking Passionflower can reduce anxiety.
✅ Currently, Passionflower has been studied and applied in many preparations to treat insomnia in the form of tea, extracts, or supplements. You can use this herb to make tea or combine with some other natural ingredients to increase sedative effects, induce sleep, and improve neurasthenia.
2.2 Passionflower other benefits
- May help lower blood pressure: Studies show that using Passionflower extract contains ingredients like rutin, calcium that can help lower high blood pressure when you have hypertension. It has been suggested that consuming a cup of Passionflower tea daily can help regulate blood pressure levels in people with mild hypertension.
- Has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties: Passionflower has antioxidant properties due to its antioxidant compounds. A special compound, quercetin, has been investigated and has been shown to be particularly effective at removing damaging cells like free-radical molecules because it inhibits various enzymes that cause certain types of inflammatory disease. In addition, these antioxidant compounds help relax the nervous system, helping to reduce nerve-related pain such as back pain.
- Good for the skin: Passionflower oil is rich in natural omega 6 (linolenic) fatty acids. This compound helps restore skin function and may be beneficial for people with acne. It is also high in vitamin A, which slows down the breakdown of collagen and is good for your skin.
3. Notes when using Passionflower
When using Passionflower in the form of herbal teas, extracts, or supplements you should keep the following in mind:
- Although Passionflower is considered safe even when you use it for a long time, you may still experience side effects such as heart rate, nausea, vomiting, and drowsiness.
- Passionflower may also produce harmful effects when combined with certain medications and substances including sedatives such as benzodiazepines, anticoagulants, and alcohol.
- Do not use Passionflower before driving the car because this herb can cause drowsiness.
- Pregnant and lactating women should consult a physician before use.
4. Recommended for you :
🎁 Herb Pharm Certified Organic Passionflower Liquid Extract
✅ Herb Pharm Certified-Organic Passionflower Extract supports the body’s natural response to mild and occasional anxiety. Herb Pharm prepares Passionflower extract from the flowering herb (leaf, flower & succulent stem) of Passiflora incarnata vines which are Certified Organically Grown. Passionflower is bitter and earthy in flavor. It may be added to water or other liquid for taste and is easily absorbed into the bloodstream. Herb Pharm never uses synthetic solvents. Directions: Shake well before using. Two to five times per day. Take 30 to 40 drops in a little water.
🎁 NOW Supplements, Passion Flower (Passiflora incarnata) 350 mg
✅ Since 1968 NOW has been a leader in the natural products industry. Even when healthy foods and natural supplements weren’t mainstream, we’ve never wavered from our mission – to provide value in products and services that empower people to lead healthier lives. NOW Supplements, Passion Flower help to natural stress relief. Directions: As a dietary supplement, take 1-2 capsules daily as needed.
🎁 Buddha Teas Organic Passion Flower Tea
✅ Buddha Teas is the leading organic tea company for single herb teas. All teas are certified organic and they only use bleach-free tea bags.
✅ Widely known to induce whole body, mind, and spirit calm, the passionflower plant’s name stems from a reference to the Passion of Christ. As a plant, passionflower is classified as a perennial climbing vine with beautiful white and lavender color flowers, but as a tea, passionflower boasts a clean and amber-like color with a rich, savory, earthy flavor that is reminiscent of a broth. Though this herbal tea does not need sweetening, it does pair well with milk, honey, or sugar for added flavor. Passion Flower Tea is known to relieve symptoms of anxiety, insomnia, and menopause, eliminate inflammation, and act as a relaxant and antidepressant. Organic Passion Flower Tea needs a good boil and a steep of 5-8 minutes to extract its full flavor and optimum benefits. Cover the cup while steeping, then remove the teabag, and enjoy!