Hawthorn is a shrub that grows abundantly on hillsides and forest edges that originate in temperate regions of Europe, North America, and North Asia. The tree has red flowers, edible fruits, the taste of these fruits is usually sweet and sour. The fruit is small but powerful as a tonic to treat cardiovascular diseases. They contain flavonoids, powerful antioxidants that reduce inflammation, improve blood flow, help dilate blood vessels, protect against vascular damage, and boost immune function. Research shows that topical supplementation can help prevent both neurological and cardiovascular diseases and cancer.
1. Components of Hawthorn
✅ Hawthorn fruits contain lots of phytonutrients, flavonoids, and vitamin C – they are powerful antioxidants, helping to eliminate free radicals and toxins inside the body. This is thought to have the effect of this herb, such as reducing the likelihood of atherosclerotic plaque or oxidative stress.
✅ In addition, Hawthorn contains many important micronutrients such as protein, fat, sugar, organic acids, carotene and minerals like calcium, tannin, iron, …
2. Hawthorn health benefits
2.1 Improve heart function
✅ Treatment for heart failure: According to several studies, hawthorn can help control symptoms and improve physiological results when used as an adjunct treatment for chronic heart failure. This suggests that hawthorn can improve exercise tolerance and in symptoms, such as fatigue and shortness of breath.
✅ Treatment of coronary heart disease: When blood flow to the heart decreases, it causes chest pain, also known as angina, a common symptom of coronary heart disease. Research shows that hawthorn can be an effective remedy for preventing and overcoming angina. An article published in the Journal of Herbal and Toxicology notes that the hemp’s bioflavonoid helps dilate peripheral and coronary blood vessels. This improves blood flow to the heart. Proanthocyanidin in hawthorn extract is said to reduce stress in blood vessel walls, also helping to prevent angina.
✅ In fact, doctors throughout Europe have used hawthorn to treat heart disease since the 19th century. It is an ingredient in more than 213 commercial herbal formulas in Europe designed to remedy diseases of the Heart.
2.2 Lowering blood pressure
✅ According to studies, hawthorn extract may be a useful natural remedy to lower total and bad cholesterol ( LDL-cholesterol ). In addition, research shows that the extract also significantly reduces liver cholesterol and triglycerides as well as body weight. This significantly reduces the risk of atherosclerotic plaque formation – which is the cause of high blood pressure and cardiovascular events such as stroke and heart attack. It is evidence-based on research that hawthorn extract can reduce diastolic blood pressure (the pressure of blood returning to the heart) even more effective than blood pressure medication.
2.3 Hawthorn other health benefits
- Improve digestive function: Hawthorn promotes gastric and bile secretion, increases the activity of digestive enzymes such as an amylolytic enzyme, lipolytic enzyme …, regulates the contraction of gastric, and intestinal smooth muscle. This significantly improves gastrointestinal function, helping to reduce symptoms of bloating, indigestion, or gastrointestinal disorders.
- Hawthorn inhibits a number of bacteria such as dysentery bacilli, Ecoli, diphtheria, typhoid, and staphylococcus aureus – bacterias that cause symptoms of gastrointestinal disorders. Eastern medicine uses Hawthorn to absorb the necrotic substances and toxins of the bacteria, reduce intestinal wall irritation and reduce bowel motility thereby reducing pain and diarrhea.
3. Notes when using Hawthorn
If you want to use Hawthorn extract or supplements containing Hawthorn to control blood pressure and blood fat, you should note the following :
- Hawthorn may be safe for most adults when taking the recommended dose for a short time (up to 16 weeks). However, you may experience some side effects such as nausea, fatigue, headache, but this is only a very mild manifestation.
- If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, you should only take the medication as recommended by your doctor.
- If you use Hawthorn with other antihypertensive drugs will increase the effect of each other, causing a sudden, very dangerous hypotension.
4. Recommended for you :
🎁 Nature’s Answer Hawthorn Berries
✅ From humble beginnings back in 1972 to their modern state-of-the-art facility, Nature’s Answer has evolved into one of today’s largest family-owned and operated manufacturers of high-quality nutritional products. Their herbal formulas stand the test of time – over four decades of performance. With state-of-the-art laboratory equipment, Nature’s Answer has the facility to analyze the quality and purity of each plant used to produce their products. Nature’s Answer Hawthorn Berries Extract Supports Healthy Cardiovascular Function – Promotes Healthy Circulation. Directions: As a dietary supplement take 1–2 mL (approx. 28–56 drops) 3 times a day in a small amount of water.
🎁 NOW Supplements, Hawthorn Extract 600 mg, Extra Strength, Cardiovascular Support
✅ Since 1968 NOW has been a leader in the natural products industry. Even when healthy foods and natural supplements weren’t mainstream, we’ve never wavered from our mission – to provide value in products and services that empower people to lead healthier lives.
✅ NOW Hawthorn Extract is standardized to 1.8% vitexin-2”-O-rhamnoside that, along with other natural components, has been found to support normal blood flow and may help to maintain blood pressure already within the healthy range. Directions: Take 1 capsule daily. Store in a cool, dry place after opening. Safety Information: For adults only. Consult physician if pregnant/nursing, taking medication (especially cardiac and blood pressure medications), or have a medical condition (especially a heart or blood pressure condition). Keep out of reach of children.