Gotu kola (Centella Asiatica) is a traditional leafy plant used in Asian dishes that also has a long history of use in both traditional Chinese medicine and Ayurveda medicine. This is a native perennial plant of tropical wetlands in Southeast Asia, where it is often used as a juice, tea, or leafy greens. In China, India, and traditional Indonesian medicine Gotu kola has been used for various conditions for thousands of years. In Indian medicine, Gotu kola plays a similar role with ginseng plants with many benefits. It is believed to have antimicrobial, cognitive, anti-diabetic, anti-inflammatory, anti-depressant, and memory-enhancing properties. It is widely sold as a dietary supplement in capsules, powders, tinctures, and topical formulations.
- 1. The active ingredient in Gotu Kola
- 2. Top 5 benefits of Gotu kola
- 3. Notes when using Gotu Kola
1. The active ingredient in Gotu Kola
✅ Studies on the pharmacological effects of Gotu kola have shown that it contains their important components. Some of these include Saponin triterpene acid, essential oil, flavonoids, and asiaticoside (A and B) … Of which triterpene saponin has the main active components of Gotu Kola. They are believed to cause most of the pharmacological effects of this herb.
✅ Studies have shown that asiaticoside, madecassoside, and triterpenes saponins have a healing effect and to alleviate arterial pressure in cases of chronic venous insufficiency. A number of studies have suggested that terpenoids in Gotu kola or may have anti-inflammatory effects.
✅ Several animal studies suggest that asiaticosides can help prevent and / or treat gastrointestinal ulcers. This can occur due to the increased strength of the gastric mucosa, and by reducing the damage caused by free radicals to the gastric mucosa. Meanwhile, asiaticoside derivatives, are being explored with possible roles in Alzheimer’s disease.
2. Top 5 benefits of Gotu kola
2.1 Benefits of Gotu kola: Helps reduce anxiety and stress
✅ Gotu kola has long been used as a herbal tonic to treat mood disorders and enhance memory. Gotu kola seems to reduce anxiety by regulating the activity of neurotransmitters called gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). By influencing the way GABA is absorbed by the brain, the asiatic acid in Gotu kola can reduce anxiety without the sedative effect of traditional GABA agonists such as Ambien (zolpidem) and barbiturates. It may also play a role in treating depression, insomnia, and chronic fatigue.
- The beneficial effects of Gotu kola on brain function can make it an effective antidepressant, a study of 33 people with a generalized anxiety disorder. Participants were asked to take Gotu kola instead of their antidepressant medication for 60 days. Reports show that Gotu kola helps reduce stress, anxiety, and depression.
- With the ability to treat anxiety, stress, and depression, Gotu kola can also be used to treat insomnia. Some people consider this herbal remedy to be a safe alternative to prescription drugs used to treat insomnia and other sleep disorders.
2.2 Benefits of Gotu kola: Good for the brain
✅ Researchers show that Gotu kola extract may be effective in preventing cognitive deficiency and reducing oxidative stress. A 2016 study compared the effects of Gotu kola extract and folic acid in enhancing cognitive function after stroke. This study assessed the effects on three groups of participants – one person taking 1,000 milligrams (mg) of Gotu kola every day, one person taking 750 mg of Gotu kola per day, and one person taking 3 mg of folic acid daily. Although Gotu kola and folic acid are equally beneficial in improving overall perception, Gotu kola is more effective in improving the memory domain.
✅ In addition, Gotu kola has the ability to enhance memory and nerve function, bringing potential in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. In fact, a 2012 study in mice found that Gotu kola extract had a positive effect on behavioral abnormalities in mice with Alzheimer’s disease. However, more research is needed to determine exactly the effect of Gotu kola on people with Alzheimer’s.
2.3 Benefits of Gotu kola: Treatment of chronic venous insufficiency
✅ There is some evidence that Gotu kola can improve blood circulation in people with chronic venous insufficiency (CVI). Varicose veins occur when the walls of the veins and/or valves in a vacuum vein work properly, making it difficult for blood to return to the heart. Several clinical studies have suggested that Gotu kola may improve blood flow and reduce swelling in people with chronic venous insufficiency. These effects are thought to be related to chemical compounds called triterpenes, which stimulate cardiac glycoside production. Cardiac glycosides are organic compounds that increase the force of the heart and increase the rate of contraction.
2.4 Benefits of Gotu kola: Promote wound healing
✅ Herbalists have long used Gotu kola ointment and ointment to aid wound healing. Current evidence suggests that a type of triterpene, called asiaticoside, is able to stimulate collagen production and promote the growth of new blood vessels at the site of injury. How to use: Apply an ointment containing 1 percent of Gotu kola extract to the affected area several times daily. If your wound is deep or severe, see your doctor before use.
2.5 Benefits of Gotu kola: Prevention of cancer
✅ Gotu kola is known to have a strong antioxidant effect, neutralizing any free radicals that cause cell damage at the molecular level. It has been hypothesized that these properties may help protect against stomach ulcers and some cancers. Asiatic acid, found in Gotu kola, has been shown in continuous research to induce apoptosis (spontaneous cell death) and inhibit cell growth in certain types of cancer cells, including liver, breast, skin, brain, and gastrointestinal tumor cells. However further studies are needed to prove this effect.
3. Notes when using Gotu Kola
Gotu kola has many effects on health, but in some cases when using, you should still note:
- Gotu kola is soldering, easy to cause cold in the stomach, diarrhea. In addition, some use cases may cause headaches and drowsiness.
- If you use it during pregnancy, this vegetable has a very high risk of miscarriage. Therefore, you should avoid using Gotu kola during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Gotu kola can cause liver damage. People who have had liver disease such as hepatitis should avoid using Gotu kola because it can make it worse.
- Gotu kola can cause a lot of drowsiness if you combine it with drugs used during and after surgery. You should stop using Gotu kola at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.
Recommended for you
🎁 Nature’s Answer Alcohol-Free Gotu Kola Herb
✅ From humble beginnings back in 1972 to their modern state-of-the-art facility, Nature’s Answer has evolved into one of today’s largest family-owned and operated manufacturers of high-quality nutritional products. Their herbal formulas stand the test of time – over four decades of performance. With state-of-the-art laboratory equipment, Nature’s Answer has the facility to analyze the quality and purity of each plant used to produce their products. Nature’s Answer Alcohol-Free Gotu Kola Herb helps to:
- Supports a Healthy Immune System
- Supports Healthy Memory & Mood Function
- Promotes Healthy Circulation
✅ Directions: As a dietary supplement take 1-2 mL (approx. 28-56 drops) 3 times a day in a small amount of water. Warning: Do not use if pregnant or nursing.
🎁 Organic Gotu Kola Tea
✅ Buddha Teas is the leading organic tea company for single herb teas. All teas are certified organic and they only use bleach-free tea bags. Directions: Freshwater is essential for brewing a great cup of tea. Use one teabag per cup of boiling water. Cover and steep for 3-6 minutes. Savor the taste of Buddha Teas while enjoying the benefits Gotu Kola Tea provides.
✅ Gaia Herbs, Mushrooms + Herbs Mental Clarity, Brain & Cognitive Support, Cordyceps, Reishi, Gotu Kola
- INCREASED FOCUS: Lack of focus can make everyday activities a struggle. A combination of three potent Mushrooms and herbs balance and support brain function and health to keep you alert throughout the day.
- HEALTHY BRAIN FUNCTION: A blend of Lion’s Mane and Reishi Mushroom with Gotu Kola and Holy Basil work together to support a healthy response to stress, inflammation, and circulation of the brain.
- MADE AT THE GAIA CERTIFIED ORGANIC FARM: We are committed to using only non-GMO ingredients. Our products are purity tested and do not contain gluten, soy, dairy, meat, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, yeast, or eggs.
- ORGANIC MUSHROOM & HERBAL BLEND: A Plant-based supplement designed to maintain mental alertness and focus. Mushrooms + Herbs Mental Clarity is perfect for distracted adults looking for daily support in mental clarity.
- 30 DAY SUPPLY: Includes 1 (60 Count) Gaia Herbs Mushrooms + Herbs Mental Clarity. We suggest taking 1 capsule twice a day with meals. Best results are obtained with long-term use.