Cranberry is an herb native to the Northeastern United States and a popular food source for many Native American tribes. Cranberry usually has a very sour taste, so it is often processed into products such as fruit juice, jam, and gravy. This versatile berry can make a smart addition to a healthy diet. Cranberry is rich in various vitamins and plant compounds, some of which have been shown to be effective against urinary tract infections and many health benefits.
1. The active substance in Cranberry
✅ Carbohydrates and fiber: Cranberries are mainly composed of carbohydrates and fiber (90% of the dried berries). These are mainly simple sugars like sucrose, glucose, and fructose.
✅ Vitamins and minerals: Cranberries are a rich source of vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin C.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is also known as ascorbic acid, is one of the major antioxidants in blueberries. It is an essential substance in maintaining skin, muscles, and bones.
- Manganese: Manganese is found in most foods, which is essential for growth, metabolism, and the body’s antioxidant system.
- Vitamin E: An essential fat-soluble antioxidant.
- Vitamin K1: Vitamin K1 is also known as phylloquinone – a substance necessary for blood clotting.
- Copper: A trace element that is often present in the Western diet. Copper deficiency can have an adverse effect on cardiovascular health.
✅ Other important plant compounds: Cranberries contain high levels of bioactive and antioxidant plant compounds, especially flavonol polyphenol-based compounds. These include:
- Quercetin: This is the most abundant antioxidant polyphenol in cranberries. In fact, cranberries are one of the fruits that provide the most quercetin.
- Myricetin: Myricetin is a major polyphenol antioxidant in cranberries and may have a number of beneficial health effects.
- Peonidin: An antioxidant of anthocyanin. This substance, together with cyanide, makes cranberries red and provides a number of health benefits. Cranberries are one of the richest sources of peonidin.
- Ursolic acid: Ursolic acid is a triterpene active ingredient with a high concentration concentrated in the crust of cranberries. It is a component of many traditional herbal medicines with powerful anti-inflammatory effects.
- Proanthocyanidins type A is an antioxidant polyphenol, also known as tannin concentrate, and is thought to be effective against urinary tract infections.
2. Top 3 Cranberry health benefits
2.1 Cranberry health benefits: Prevent urinary tract infection
✅ The unique phytonutrients found in cranberries, called proanthocyanidin type A, can prevent E. coli from attaching to the lining of the bladder and urinary tract, potentially preventing infection. In fact, Cranberry is one of the most fruit-rich sources of proanthocyanidins, especially proanthocyanidins of type A. Proanthocyanidins help prevent E. coli from attaching to the lining of the bladder and urinary tract. It also makes cranberries a potential method of preventing urinary tract infections. Several human trials have shown that drinking Cranberry juice, or supplements from Cranberry, can reduce the risk of urinary tract infections in both children and adults. However, if you suspect a urinary tract infection, talk to your doctor and the first option should be antibiotic treatment.
2.2 Cranberry health benefits: Support for cardiovascular health
✅ Just as other berries are blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries, Cranberry also contains a lot of phytonutrients including anthocyanins, proanthocyanidins, which have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Did you know inflammation and antioxidants are the major agents that damage blood vessels over time? These damaged blood vessels attract plaque and cause atherosclerosis.
✅ A study published in the Journal of Nutrition showed that when adults consumed cranberry juice with low-calorie content for 8 weeks, they showed an increase in HDL cholesterol levels, a decrease in LDL cholesterol, a decrease in vascular stiffness. blood and lowering blood pressure.
2.3 Cranberry health benefits: Prevent stomach ulcers
✅ Helicobacter pylori (HP) infection is considered to be the main cause of inflammation, peptic ulcer, and stomach cancer. Cranberries contain unique plant compounds, proanthocyanidins type A, which can reduce the risk of stomach cancer by preventing H. pylori bacteria from attaching to the stomach wall. A test of 189 men and women found that drinking half a liter of cranberry juice daily could significantly reduce H. pylori infection. To support this result, another experiment on 295 children found that consuming cranberry juice daily for 3 weeks prevented the growth of H. pylori bacteria in about 17% of people who had infected.
3. Some notes when using Cranberry
- You should be cautious when using cranberry with anticoagulants such as warfarin and aspirin because they can increase the risk of blood thinning.
- Cranberry, especially concentrated Cranberry extract, may contain high levels of oxalate and is considered a risk factor for kidney stones when consumed in large quantities. Some people tend to develop them more than others. If you are prone to kidney stones, consult your doctor before use.
- You may be allergic to Cranberry and other berries in Vaccinium species, such as blueberries.
Recommended for you
🎁 Herb Pharm Certified Organic Cranberry Liquid Extract for Urinary Tract Support
✅ Support the healthy function of the urinary tract with Cranberry liquid extract from Herb Pharm. They prepare our Cranberry Extract from the ripe berries of Vaccinium macrocarpon plants which are Certified Organically Grown. To assure optimal extraction of Cranberry’s bioactive compounds, the berries are hand-harvested only when fully matured, are carefully shade-dried, and are then thoroughly extracted. Directions: Shake well before using. Three or four times per day take 30 to 40 drops in a little water.
🎁 Nature’s Bounty Cranberry Dietary Supplement
✅ Cranberries help support the integrity of bladder walls to promote urinary health in both men and women. This product also contains Vitamin C that plays a role in supporting immune function. Made from the finest cranberry concentrate available. Directions: For adults, take two (2) soft gels daily, preferably with meals. Safety Information: Pregnant or lactating women should consult a doctor before using any product. Not intended for use by persons under the age of 18. Keep out of reach of children. Store in a dry place and avoid excessive heat.
🎁 Buddha Teas Organic Cranberry Tea
✅ Buddha Teas is the leading organic tea company for single herb teas. All teas are certified organic and they only use bleach-free tea bags.
✅ With a refreshingly tart and dynamic flavor, any cranberry fan will undoubtedly be captivated by this invigorating tea. It’s crafted from organic dried cranberry pieces to provide a natural source of vitamins (especially vitamin C) and minerals to fortify your body with essential nutrients. It’s also antioxidant-rich, and a good source of polyphenols. This Cranberry Tea is organic and naturally caffeine-free, making it the perfect option when seeking a vitamin C-rich, full taste tea. It can be savored hot, or it can be iced as a refreshment for a hot summer day. To prepare a cup of Cranberry Tea, use 1 bleach-free teabag per cup of water heated to about 205°. Cover and steep to taste. Remove tea bag and enjoy!