Coptis Chinensis is an herb used in traditional Chinese medicine, this is a multi-functional medicinal plant, it is considered one of the 50 basic herbs. Used to treat many different diseases such as enteritis, diarrhea, dysentery, hemorrhoids, high fever, hepatitis, itchy skin inflammation, pimples … Recent studies of modern medicine not only prove the value of multi-tasking used in the treatment of Coptis Chinensis but also discovered new therapeutic uses of this plant.
1. The active ingredient in Coptis Chinensis
✅ Coptis Chinensis rhizomes contain alcaloid (5 – 8%), the main components are alcaloid such as berberin, jatrorrhizin, coptisin, palmatin, epiberberin, columbamine, epiberberin, worenin, magnoflorin …
✅ In particular, the Berberine ingredient in Coptis Chinensis is an alkaloid known to have many health effects, notably the treatment of diarrhea caused by bacteria or caused by intestinal parasites. In addition, modern medicine has found many other effects of berberine such as supporting diabetes treatment, good for the cardiovascular system …
2. Coptis Chinensis health benefits
2.1 Treatment of gastrointestinal diseases
One of the main uses of Coptis Chinensis is to treat or prevent digestive disorders, including diarrhea and bacterial dysentery.
- Treatment of diarrhea: Diarrhea is often caused by an imbalance in the intestinal microflora. Berberine has an antibacterial effect on many types of intestinal bacteria such as Shigella, Streptococci, and other intestinal parasites. In particular, using Berberine does not cause an imbalance in the bacterial environment inside the digestive system.
- Treat irritable bowel syndrome: In 2011, Yungwui Tjong et al. (Hong Kong) studied Coptis Chinensis root extract to reduce visceral pain due to cholecystokinin and serotonin hormones – which are muscle contraction agents. Smooth leads to increased peristalsis.
- Antibacterial effect: Research results show that Coptis Chinensis extract reduces 16% of urease activity and strongly inhibits the growth of Helicobacter pylori (causing stomach ulcers) and other disruptive bacteria digestive disorders such as Shigella, Staphylococcus, Streptococcus hemolyticus … The mechanism of antibacterial effect may be due to berberine inhibiting the synthesis of RNA, DNA, and protein for bacteria. In addition, Coptis Chinensis also has antifungal and antiviral effects.
2.2 Control diabetes
✅ A 2011 study in the American Journal of Chinese Medicine found that mice fed a formula called Tang-Min-Ling (whose main ingredient is Coptis Chinensis) had fewer fluctuations in blood sugar than unused mice. This suggests that Coptis Chinensis can improve glucose tolerance and support the prevention or treatment of type 2 diabetes. Berberine in Coptis Chinensis can alter glucose metabolism by increasing insulin secretion, inhibiting the formation of glucose, and fat in the liver. Not only that, due to anti-inflammatory, anti-infection, and cholesterol-lowering effects, berberine helps prevent many complications of diabetes such as cardiovascular disease, limb necrosis.
2.3 Prevention of cardiovascular risk
✅ Berberine in Coptis Chinensis works to normalize blood lipids, including cholesterol and triglycerides, prevent the buildup of arterial plaque, and the development of atherosclerosis – which is the cause of cardiovascular complications: high blood pressure, stroke and heart attack. At the same time, it also stimulates the release of nitric oxide, a substance that can dilate arteries, increase blood flow, and lower blood pressure. Therefore, it can be said that Coptis Chinensis is beneficial for the heart and has the ability to prevent cardiovascular complications.
3. Notes when using Coptis Chinensis
When you use Coptis Chinensis extract or supplements that contain Coptis Chinensis you should note the following :
- There is not much information about the long-term safety of Coptis Chinensis. Although herbal remedies are generally safe, they can cause a number of side effects: dizziness, fatigue, low blood pressure, nausea, liver toxicity.
- Berberine in Coptis Chinensis can cause brain damage in both infants and developing fetuses. For this reason, Coptis Chinensis should not be used in children, during pregnancy, or while breastfeeding.
- Berberine can also lower blood sugar and should be used with caution when taking medication for diabetes.
4. Recommended for you :
🎁 Herb Pharm Coptis Liquid Extract
✅ Support the healthy function of the digestive system with Coptis liquid extract from Herb Pharm. They prepare our Coptis Extract from the rhizome of Coptis Chinensis plants which are Sustainably Grown. To varied optimal quality Coptis rhizomes, they directly purchase from China only rhizomes that are harvested in the autumn, that have had their superfluous rootlets removed, and are then carefully dried. Use: Follow the directions on the manufacturer’s label. Seek expert medical advice before taking during pregnancy or nursing.