Calendula, also known as Calendula officinalis, is a kind of marigold that has been used historically for a range of different ailments, mainly those that affect the skin like wound healing. The medicinal part of the plant is found in very beautiful yellow and orange flowers. Colorful petals of Calendula flower are rich in flavonoids – active antioxidants with many benefits like help reduce inflammation, enhance eye health, and prevent cancer effectively. Calendula oil can be used alone or as an ingredient in ointments, creams, or lotions. In addition, it can also be produced in the form of alcohol, tea, or capsules.
1. The active ingredient in Calendula
✅ Calendula flowers contain many different groups of antioxidants including lutein, lycopene, beta-carotene, quercetin, rutin, and a variety of other substances like fatty acids: calendric acid and linoleic acid. These active ingredients help Calendula be extremely beneficial to health due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
2. Top calendula flower benefits
2.1 Calendula flower benefits: Antioxidant
✅ Calendula contains antioxidants in the form of flavonoids and carotenoids. The petals are also high in antioxidants and fatty acids such as calendric acid and linoleic acid. Calendula leaves contain lutein and beta-carotene, which have powerful antioxidant functions. This makes Calendula very beneficial to health, including:
- Good for the eyes: The antioxidant compounds found in marigolds are very beneficial for improving your vision. Beta-carotene aids in preventing cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Anti-cancer: According to recent studies, it has been determined that marigold has anti-tumor properties. From there, it can control cancer. Calendula is expected to be studied further, to be used as a remedy for cancer prevention, treatment, and palliative care for symptoms of cancer. It does not cause toxic side effects like conventional cancer medications.
- Calendula reduces the risk of atherosclerotic plaque formation, which keeps your heart healthy.
2.2 Calendula flower benefits: Treatment of wounds
✅ Applying chamomile oil on open wounds, scrapes, bruises, and insect bites help speed up the healing process. This is due to the unique anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties found in it. By fighting infection, it keeps the wound safe and quickly recovers. A recent study published in the Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care examined the effectiveness of calendula ointment on the cesarean scar in 72 women. In a 2016 study published in the Journal of Wound Care, researchers used Calendula officinalis extract on people with venous leg ulcers. Their findings indicate that those treated with calendula had a “healing rate per week” of 7.4% compared with only 1.7% in the control group. In addition, the researchers reported, “No side effects were observed during the treatment of Calendula officinalis extract.”
2.3 Calendula flower benefits: Good for skin
- Treatment of eczema and dermatitis: Calendula is marketed in the treatment of eczema and dermatitis. Because this herb has anti-inflammatory properties, applying it to skin conditions can reduce inflammation. However, research on the schedule to treat eczema and dermatitis is limited.
- Sun protection: The effectiveness of calendula as sunscreen has been tested in vitro (that is, in Petri dishes or test tubes). The idea behind this study is that the oxidants of calendula act as a cellular rejuvenation agent and remove free radicals generated by UV rays.
- Prevent premature aging: Dry skin not only looks unattractive but can also lead to premature aging. Calendula has regenerative properties, deeply hydrates the skin, heals damaged skin, and makes skin look younger and softer.
- Healing irritated skin and wounds: Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, Calendula is often used in medicinal preparations to cure rashes, sunburns, minor cuts, scratches, insect bites, and other Other mild skin irritation. This herb also contains natural regenerating properties, making it the perfect remedy for treating small cuts and wounds. Using this herb on chapped lips makes the lips feel softer.
- Prevent acne: The antibacterial properties in this herb help clean the bacteria in the skin’s pores that can lead to acne outbreaks.
2.4 Calendula flower benefits: Other benefits
- Good for oral health: Toothpaste and mouthwash containing calendula are very effective at killing bacteria that cause gum disease and tooth decay. Gargling regularly with calendula tea can cure a number of mouth-related disorders like gingivitis.
- Soothe a sore throat: Another great use of calendula tea is to soothe a sore throat. It can even be used to cure tonsillitis. The anti-inflammatory properties of this herb work on inflamed mucous membranes for immediate support.
- Improve the digestive system: You can drink calendula tea to keep your digestive organs healthy. It works deep inside the body to treat bladder infections, pain, and stomach ulcers. It cleanses the digestive tract and helps you get rid of any associated digestive disorders.
3. The note when using Calendula
When using Calendula in oral form as extracts or supplements, you should note the following:
- Calendula is relatively safe to use. However, in some cases, an allergic reaction may still occur.
- Pregnant women taking Calendula by mouth may have a higher risk of miscarriage. There is not enough information about the use of Calendula during breastfeeding, in which case you should consult your doctor before use.
- You should stop using Calendula two weeks before surgery.
- Calendula can cause drowsiness, so should not use Calendula with other sedatives.
Recommended for you
🎁 Herb Pharm Certified Organic Calendula Liquid Extract
✅ Support the healthy function of the immune system with Calendula liquid extract from Herb Pharm. They prepare our Calendula Extract from whole flowers of Calendula officinalis plants which are Certified Organically Grown on our own farm. To assure optimal extraction of Calendula’s bioactive compounds, the flowers are hand-harvested while in full bloom, are carefully shade-dried to retain their full color & aroma, and are then thoroughly extracted. Directions: Shake well before using. Two to five times per day take 30 to 40 drops in a little water. If you are nursing, pregnant, or considering pregnancy, you should consult your health care practitioner prior to using this product. Keep out of reach of children.
🎁 Organic Calendula Flower Tea
✅ Buddha Teas is the leading organic tea company for single herb teas. All teas are certified organic and they only use bleach-free tea bags. Directions: Freshwater is essential for brewing a great cup of tea. Use one teabag per cup of boiling water. Cover and steep for 3-6 minutes. Savor the taste of Buddha Teas while enjoying the benefits Calendula Flower Tea provides.