The black walnut (Juglans nigra), grows wildly throughout the United States and is the second most grown walnut in North America, after the British walnut. Black walnuts have a unique flavor and aroma, making them darker and more earthy than British walnuts. They are a popular addition to recipes such as baked goods and desserts. In addition, black walnuts are also known for many health benefits. Since ancient times, Ancient Greeks and Romans called black walnuts “royal seeds” and are reportedly used to treat intestinal diseases. The kernel is a part of walnuts commonly eaten raw or roasted and can be pressed for oil. Its shell contains antioxidants and is used in extracts and supplements for medical purposes, such as to treat parasitic infections or reduce inflammation.
- 1. The active ingredient in Black Walnut
- 2. Top 3 black walnuts health benefits
- 3. The note when using Black Walnut
1. The active ingredient in Black Walnut
Black walnut is a type of nut that is said to bring some health benefits with abundant active ingredients, which contain many important substances for health:
- Black walnuts have a 75% higher protein content than British walnuts, providing 4 grams of protein per 1 ounce (28 grams). Protein is a nutrient that positively affects weight loss, blood sugar control, and satiety.
- Black walnuts contain essential fatty acids, including linoleic acid, oleic acid, palmitic acid, stearic acid, and linolenic acid (a type of omega-3 fatty acid) as well as minerals like magnesium and potassium.
- Black walnuts are low in carbs and most of them come from fiber, a nutrient that can also promote feelings of fullness and control weight.
- They contain proanthocyanidin – a good source of antioxidants – substances that can prevent or delay cell damage caused by unstable molecules called free radicals.
- Black walnuts also provide alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), a type of omega-3 fatty acid. ALA is an essential fat, which means your body cannot produce it, so you need it from your diet. ALA has been linked to a number of health benefits, including a reduced risk of heart disease and stroke.
2. Top 3 black walnuts health benefits
2.1 Black walnuts health benefits: Good for the cardiovascular system
✅ Black walnuts contain a variety of heart-healthy nutrients and compounds, including:
- Omega-3 fatty acids. May improve some risk factors for heart disease such as high blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- Tannin: Helps lower blood pressure and reduce blood lipid levels, potentially improving heart health.
- Ellagic acid: May help prevent artery stenosis due to plaque buildup that can lead to heart disease.
✅ A review of 13 studies found that eating walnuts reduced total and LDL-cholesterol (bad cholesterol). What’s more, studies show that eating walnuts improves blood vessel function and reduces the risk of atherosclerotic plaque buildup – a major risk factor for heart disease. However, this effect is limited when compared to English walnuts.
2.2 Black walnuts health benefits: Antimicrobial and Anti-inflammatory
✅ A test-tube study found that black walnut extract has antioxidant and antibacterial activity (like tannins), which helps prevent the growth of Staphylococcus aureus, a bacterium that can cause infections. In a research lab, Black walnut extract demonstrated strong activity against Listeria monocytogenes- bacteria that are common after eating foods contaminated with bacteria. It causes fever, headache, and flu-like symptoms.
✅ Black walnut is also thought to have anti-inflammatory effects because it contains ellagic acid. It is thought that ellagic acid causes most of the anti-inflammatory effects.
2.3 Black walnuts health benefits: Supports weight loss
✅ Studies show that eating nuts – especially black walnut – can help you lose weight. Although black walnut is high in calories, most of these calories come from healthy fats. In fact, walnuts have been found to help you stay full longer, which can help you eat less naturally, potentially promoting weight loss. In a 3-month study, people who ate 1/4 cup (30 grams) of walnuts daily lost more weight than the control group – despite the extra calories of walnuts.
3. The note when using Black Walnut
When using black walnuts or other extracts and supplements that contain this ingredient, you should keep the following in mind:
- People with allergies should not eat black walnuts or use supplements that contain them.
- It is best to consult with your health care provider before taking black walnut extract if you are on medication or are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- In addition, the tannins in black walnuts may interact with some medications such as reducing iron absorption in other supplements.
Recommended for you
🎁 Nature’s Answer Alcohol-Free Black Walnut Green Hulls
✅ From humble beginnings back in 1972 to their modern state-of-the-art facility, Nature’s Answer has evolved into one of today’s largest family-owned and operated manufacturers of high-quality nutritional products. Their herbal formulas stand the test of time – over four decades of performance. With state-of-the-art laboratory equipment, Nature’s Answer has the facility to analyze the quality and purity of each plant used to produce their products.
✅ The Nature’s Answer Black Walnut Hull Fluid Extract is made from Juglans nigra, a commonly occurring tree with a long history of use in European and North American traditions. Each 2000 mg serving is made with 2000 mg of dried plant per serving, Nature’s Answer Black Walnut Hull Fluid Extract promotes overall health and wellness. Liquid extracts are absorbed faster than tablets or capsules and are on average 5 times more potent than tinctures. Directions: As a dietary supplement take 1/2-1 mL (approx. 14-28 drops) 3 times a day in a small amount of water. Warning: Do not use if pregnant or nursing.
🎁 Nature’s Way Black Walnut Hulls, 1,000 mg per serving
✅ Nature’s Way is the preeminent brand of quality dietary supplements with over 1,000 product offerings. They have been at the forefront of the herbal health industry. An early leader in educating consumers and retailers on the effectiveness and safety of herbal supplements, they have always supported legislative efforts that help protect health freedoms, and are constantly striving to promote better health through the power of nature.
✅ Black Walnut Hulls 100 CapsuleProduct DescriptionBlack Walnut was used by indigenous North Americans for food, wood, and medicine. The green hull of the Black Walnut is most sought after for its medicinal and astringent properties. Directions: Take 2 capsules twice daily, preferably with food. Caution: Intended for short-term use only. For extended use consult a healthcare professional.