For centuries, the roots of the North American Black cohosh have been used for various ailments. Black cohosh is currently a popular remedy for treating menopausal symptoms with herbs including hot flashes, night sweats, disturbances in mood, and vaginal dryness. This is particularly beneficial because the standard menopausal treatment – hormone therapy – was published more than a decade ago showing quite serious side effects. In addition, Black cohosh has a number of other health effects such as reducing inflammation, improving digestion, and weight loss.
1. The active ingredient in Black Cohosh
- Black cohosh contains the main ingredients like gastrodioside, alkaloids, Gastrodin, vitamin A, vanillyl, and alcohol.
- In particular, a major component of black cohosh is fumarolic acid, a compound with estrogen-like properties. Therefore black cohosh is very beneficial for premenopausal periods in women – a period of age-related decline in estrogen levels, a major factor in the development of menopausal symptoms like hot flashes, night sweats…
2. Black cohosh health benefits
2.1 Reduce premenopausal syndrome
✅ Most symptoms of premenstrual syndrome occur due to an imbalance of the hormones estrogen and progesterone. Meanwhile, the active ingredients in Black Cohosh act similarly to estrogen in the body. Therefore, using Black Cohosh will help balance hormones and help reduce unpleasant symptoms of premenstrual syndrome. In a study of 80 women who had hot flashes, those who took 20 mg of black cohosh daily for 8 weeks reported fewer and less severe hot flashes than before. Alleviating menopausal symptoms is the reason most people use black cohosh.
2.2 Improve sleep quality
✅ Some active ingredients in black cohosh may act similar to serotonin. Therefore, using Black Cohosh will help reduce anxiety, stress, and help sleep better. In addition, black cohosh helps to reduce symptoms of premenopausal women such as hot flashes, night sweats – a cause of insomnia. A small study of 42 menopausal women found that supplementing with black cohosh seemed to improve sleep duration and quality. Another study noted that a combination of black cohosh and other compounds – including chaste berry, zinc, ginger, and hyaluronic acid – helped improve hot flashes associated with insomnia and anxiety.
2.3 Black cohosh other benefits
Other effects of Black Cohosh are also associated with the effect of improving estrogen deficiency in women, especially those who are premenopausal :
- Weight loss: Some women gain weight because estrogen levels reverse rapidly during menopause. Because of its similar effect to the hormone estrogen, Black Cohosh helps to effectively control weight gain. Weight loss can help prevent hypertension, cardiovascular disease, high cholesterol, diabetes, and stroke … in menopausal women.
- Treatment of uterine fibroids: A 3-month study in 244 postmenopausal women found that supplementing with 40 mg daily of black cohosh could reduce the size of fibroids by 30%.
- Prevent osteoporosis: Pre-menopause, women often suffer from osteoporosis due to estrogen hormone decline. Black Cohosh with its bioavailable ingredients and phytoestrogens may help reduce the risk of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women.
3. Notes on using Black cohosh
✅ When using Black cohosh in the form of extracts or supplements to treat premenopausal symptoms such as hot flashes, night sweats, or osteoporosis, you should note the following :
- Black Cohosh can be safe for all premenopausal women if you use it correctly for a year. However, this herb can cause some mild effects, such as Stomach pain, cramps, headache, weight loss.
- Black Cohosh may increase the risk of miscarriage, so herbal is contraindicated for pregnant women.
- Black Cohosh is also involved in some cases of liver damage. For this reason, you should not take black cohosh if you have liver disease or are taking any supplements or other medicines that can harm the liver. Also, check your liver enzymes (AST, ALT) regularly.
4. Recommended for you :
🎁 Nature’s Way Standardized Black Cohosh, 2.5% Triterpene Glycosides per serving, 40 mg per serving
✅ Nature’s Way is the preeminent brand of quality dietary supplements with over 1,000 product offerings. They have been at the forefront of the herbal health industry. An early leader in educating consumers and retailers on the effectiveness and safety of herbal supplements, they have always supported legislative efforts that help protect health freedoms, and are constantly striving to promote better health through the power of nature. Black Cohosh extract standardized to 2.5% triterpene glycosides. Provides isoflavones and other constituents clinically proven to support a woman’s health during perimenopause. Directions: Take 1 capsule twice daily with food or water. Safety Information: Consult a healthcare professional before taking this product if you are pregnant or nursing.
🎁 Herb Pharm Certified Organic Black Cohosh Liquid Extract
✅ Herb Pharm prepares their Black Cohosh Extract from the rhizome & rootlets of Actaea racemosa plants which are Certified Organically Grown especially for us in their native forest habitat in eastern Kentucky. To assure optimal extraction of Black Cohosh’s isoflavones & other bioactive compounds, the rhizome & rootlets are hand-dug only in autumn or spring, are carefully shade-dried, and are then thoroughly extracted. Directions: SHAKE WELL BEFORE USING Two to four times per day take 30 to 40 drops in a little water. Caution: Seek expert medical advice before taking during pregnancy.
🎁 Organic Black Cohosh Root Tea – Supports Healthy Sleep, Pain-Relief, Supports Women’s Health
✅ Buddha Teas is the leading organic tea company for single herb teas. All teas are certified organic and they only use bleach-free tea bags.
✅ There’s something to be said about the medicinal qualities of Black Cohosh Tea when, for centuries, it was used for such purposes by Native Americans. The Native peoples discovered how powerful the plant was in assisting with not only debilitating gynecological issues, but they found it to be helpful with general pain, sore throats, kidney issues, and even depression. When it comes to taste, this tea finishes mild and somewhat undistinctive, but with enough personality to transport you to a place in time when your need for medicine was found in the open spaces surrounding you. This is a tea you’ll want to keep stocked, to be able to turn to again and again. To enjoy a proper cup of Black Cohosh Tea, use 1 bleach-free teabag per cup of water heated to about 205°. Cover and steep for a good 5-10 minutes. Remove tea bag and enjoy! Caution: Black Cohosh Tea should not be consumed while pregnant, as it has been known to induce labor.