Andrographis (Andrographis paniculata) is an herb that has long been used in traditional Chinese medicine and Ayurveda – a traditional Hindu medicine system native to the Indian continent. According to the Ayurveda tradition, Andrographis, commonly known as Kalmegh or King of Bitters, has long been used as a bitter tonic, to promote digestion, appetite, and many health benefits. And in traditional Chinese medicine, Andrographis is used for cooling.
1. The active ingredient in Andrographis
✅ Andrographis is a bitter herb, rich in compounds called andrographolides. These compounds are believed to have anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, and antioxidant properties.
2. Top Andrographis benefits
2.1 Andrographis benefits: Anti-inflammatory
✅ Andrographolide in Andrographis has a proven anti-inflammatory effect in some diseases such as upper respiratory tract inflammation, arthritis, stomach ulcer …
- Limited clinical studies in ulcerative colitis suggest that Andrographis extract may be as effective as mesalazine. A daily dose of 1,800 mg of extract (in 3 divided doses) was used in studies.
- In another study in 60 patients with rheumatoid arthritis, using andrographolides 30 mg orally 3 times daily for 14 weeks improved their swelling and pain, reduced rheumatoid factor, and other indicators also associated with treatment compared to placebo.
- Ulcerative colitis: For a review published in Alude Pharmacology and Therapeutics, researchers analyzed 21 previously published studies on the use of herbal remedies in the treatment of ulcerative colitis. Andrographis Extract is considered superior to a placebo in causing remission or response.
2.2 Andrographis benefits: Antimicrobial
✅ The extract from Andrographis has a strong antibiotic effect against many types of Staphylococcus aureus, Bacillus subtilis, Escherichia coil, … In a research review published in 2017, scientists sized up 33 previously published clinical trials and found that Andrographis appears to be beneficial for relieving symptoms of acute upper respiratory tract infections when compared to other herbs, standard care, or a placebo. Andrographis was also found to shorten the duration of cough, sore throat, and sick days compared to standard care ( according to verywellhealth.com)
✅ In addition to anti-inflammatory effects, Andrographis also has the function of improving the immune system. Andrographolides in this herb are believed to enhance immune function such as the production of white blood cells, aid in the release of interferon, and promote healthy functioning of the lymphatic system. Some scientists believe this herb may help boost the immune system in the fight against HIV and AIDS.
2.3 Andrographis benefits: Other benefits
- Liver protection: Andrographis is thought to be useful in treating liver and gallbladder diseases such as viral hepatitis, jaundice, drug-induced liver damage, and liver congestion. It has been found to be as effective as silymarin (the active ingredient in milk thistle) in protecting the liver.
- Good for the heart: Clinical studies in China have shown that it helps prevent the formation of blood clots. There, it is used as an herb to treat atherosclerosis and heart attacks.
3. The note when using Andrographis
When you use Andrographis extract or supplements containing Andrographis you should keep the following in mind:
- Andrographis can cause side effects such as Low blood pressure, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain.
- Pregnant and lactating women should consult a physician before use.
- You can give Andrographis to children under the guidance and supervision of a doctor.
- Limit the use of Andrographis with medications that lower blood pressure, anticoagulants, and immunosuppressants because it can increase the effects of these drugs.
Recommended for you
🎁 Herb Pharm Andrographis Liquid Extract
✅ Support the healthy function of the immune system with Andrographis liquid herb extract from Herb Pharm. They prepare our Andrographis Extract from Andrographis paniculata plants that have been Certified Organically Grown on their own farm and/or Sustainably Grown. To assure optimal quality, the herb is custom extracted in order to thoroughly capture and preserve its immunomodulating and hepatoprotective compounds. Directions: Follow usage directions on the label. Caution: Do not take if pregnant or planning to become pregnant.