Alfalfa (Medicago sativa) is a plant native to South and Central Asia, has long been used in traditional medicine to treat a wide range of health conditions. Currently, due to its rich nutrition, alfalfa has been used as a food, even for pharmaceuticals. Alfalfa seeds and dried leaves can be used as a supplement. Alfalfa seeds when seeded for 3-5 days will germinate. When the sprout is about 5 – 7cm long, it will yield alfalfa sprouts. Alfalfa sprouts are preferred for being packed with vitamins and minerals, which can have many health benefits. Alfalfa is to be beneficial in treating diabetes, high cholesterol, arthritis, urinary tract infections, menstrual problems, and a host of other disorders.
- 1. The active ingredient in Alfalfa
- 2. Top 6 Alfalfa health benefits
- 3. The note when using Alfalfa
1. The active ingredient in Alfalfa
✅ Alfalfa contains many vitamins, especially vitamins A, B, D, E. And important minerals include Ca, Fe, Mg, P, Cl, Na, K, especially Si and Mn. Research by modern medicine shows that 100g of alfalfa contains 23 calories. Including 0.7 grams of fat, 0.076 milligrams of thiamine (vitamin B1), 0.125 milligrams of riboflavin (vitamin B2), 0.481 milligrams of niacin (vitamin B3), 0.034 milligrams of vitamin B6, 0.96 milligrams of iron.
✅ A survey by the American Agricultural Institute found that alfalfa contains 1.5 times more protein than wheat and corn. Important proteins such as arginine, lysine, thyroxine, threonine, and tryptophan. Alfalfa also contains a lot of fiber that helps digestible foods, beta carotene, and pigments have an effective antioxidant effect.
2. Top 6 Alfalfa health benefits
2.1 Alfalfa health benefits: Antioxidant
✅ For a long time, alfalfa has been used in traditional Indian medicine. To treat diseases caused by inflammation and oxidative damage. The reason is that alfalfa juice is thought to act as a powerful antioxidant. A number of animal studies have recently confirmed the antioxidant effects of this herb. Studies have shown alfalfa to reduce cell death and DNA damage.
✅ In addition, the antioxidant properties of alfalfa sprouts also help improve your immune system. Phytonutrients like L-canavanine and chlorophyll in alfalfa sprouts help improve your body’s resistance to disease. Vitamin C stimulates the production of white blood cells. Thus protecting your body against any kind of inflammation or infection.
2.2 Alfalfa health benefits: Reduce blood cholesterol
✅ So far, the ability to reduce cholesterol is the most valuable benefit of alfalfa that has been investigated. Many studies on monkeys, rabbits, and mice have shown that this grass can reduce blood cholesterol levels. Alfalfa contains saponins, a substance that is believed to bind cholesterol to bile salts and reduce blood cholesterol levels. The human studies done so far are too few to draw conclusions. But these studies have shown the potential of alfalfa in the treatment of high cholesterol.
2.3 Alfalfa health benefits: Prevent diabetes
✅ Fiber-rich foods like alfalfa can help control blood sugar levels by slowing the absorption of glucose in the gut. Thus preventing uneven spikes and reducing blood sugar. Consume alfalfa regularly and under control. May also reduce the risk of metabolic syndrome-related to diabetes. A 2015 study published in Interventional Medicine and Applied Sciences reported that rats with chemical-induced diabetes had reduced blood glucose, cholesterol, triglycerides, and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL) after when receiving alfalfa extract for 21 days. These results appear to support alfalfa juice to treat diabetes and improve metabolism. However, more human studies are needed to confirm these conclusions.
2.4 Alfalfa health benefits: Reduce menopausal symptoms in women
✅ Alfalfa contains many plant compounds called phytoestrogens ( coumestrol, genistein, and biocanine) that have similar chemical properties to estrogen hormone. So alfalfa can bring some effects to the body like estrogen. Such as reducing symptoms of insomnia, sweating at night, improve insomnia, reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease or menstrual disorders …
2.5 Alfalfa health benefits: Anti-inflammatory
✅ Analyzing the composition of alfalfa sprouts, scientists have found ethylacetate extract. This substance inhibits the production of inflammatory response catalysts, cytokines that help fight inflammation. Some surrogate practitioners believe this effect can help relieve pain and inflammation associated with osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. Alfalfa is, in fact, one of the most commonly used ingredients in herbal arthritis remedies.
2.6 Alfalfa health benefits: Effect on beauty
- Weight-loss support: The significantly low-calorie content of alfalfa sprouts, along with its fiber content, will help you feel full. This will also help reduce the need to eat continuously, which is the main cause of unhealthy weight gain. The vitamins in alfalfa help stimulate metabolism. This helps to burn excess fat.
- Helps promote healthy skin: The chlorophyll content in legumes helps to remove toxins from your skin, making it fresh and rejuvenated. Similarly, vitamin A in sprouts helps improve your skin from the inside out.
- Beautiful hair: Rich in protein, minerals, and vitamins, alfalfa sprouts are definitely beneficial for your hair. Consuming alfalfa sprouts can help strengthen hair from the roots, improving your scalp health, prevent and reduce hair loss. Alfalfa juice combined with carrots and lettuce drinks every day will stimulate hair growth and significant growth. The combination of these three herbs brings many nutrients to help hair roots to be healthy and difficult to shed.
3. The note when using Alfalfa
When using products that contain Alfalfa ingredients, you should pay attention to the following:
- It can cause the following side effects: High blood pressure, bleeding, or similar symptoms of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). If you see these symptoms appear, discontinue use immediately.
- You should be careful when using this grass with diabetes medication (including insulin) as it can lower blood sugar.
- Alfalfa may prolong the bleeding time when taken with anticoagulants.
- Because this herb can affect the endocrine system, you should not take this medication if you are pregnant unless directed by a doctor.
Recommended for you
🎁 Herb Pharm Certified Organic Alfalfa Liquid Extract
✅ Herb Pharm prepares our Alfalfa Extract from the leaf of Medicago sativa plants which have been Certified Organically Grown. To assure optimal extraction of Alfalfa’s bioactive compounds, the herb is harvested before flowering, is carefully shade-dried, and is then shipped directly to our laboratory and thoroughly extracted. Directions: SHAKE WELL BEFORE USING Two to four times per day take 30 to 40 drops in a little water. If you are nursing, pregnant, or considering pregnancy, you should consult your health care practitioner prior to using this product. Keep out of reach of children.
🎁 NOW Supplements, Alfalfa 650 mg
✅ Since 1968 NOW has been a leader in the natural products industry. Even when healthy foods and natural supplements weren’t mainstream, we’ve never wavered from our mission – to provide value in products and services that empower people to lead healthier lives. NOW Alfalfa delivers the natural nutrient profile found in Genuine Whole Foods. Directions: As a dietary supplement, take 3 tablets 3 times daily, preferably between meals.
🎁 Organic Alfalfa Leaf Tea
✅ Buddha Teas is the leading organic tea company for single herb teas. All teas are certified organic and they only use bleach-free tea bags.
✅ Now you can enjoy the many exciting qualities of a daily cup of alfalfa tea. This surprising brew is packed with essential vitamins and minerals. Alfalfa belongs to the same family as peas, beans, and lentils, and has a unique ability to absorb nutrients unavailable to most plants, as its roots can delve down to almost 50ft below the surface. Alfalfa tea offers a fresh herbal taste that is easy to enjoy with a little honey or lemon. This high-quality tisane is definitely a must-have for all avid tea drinkers! Directions: Freshwater is essential for brewing a great cup of tea. Use one teabag per cup of boiling water. Cover and steep for 3-6 minutes. Savor the taste of Buddha Teas while enjoying the benefits Alfalfa Leaf Tea provides.