Anise (Pimpinella anisum) is an herb originating from the Mediterranean and Southwest Asia with a long history of use as an adjunct. Anise seed, anise oil, often used as a food ingredient to flavor foods, beverages, cool the breath and is often used as a flavoring in soaps, fragrances, or supplements. Anise has a spicy taste, warmth, and special aroma often used to fight to weld, regulate menstruation, stimulate digestion, benefit milk, kidney tonic …
1. The active ingredient in Anise
✅ According to scientific studies, Anise contains an important amount of essential oils accounting for 2-6% of the whole fruit. Essential oils contain 50-60% of anethole, estragole, carbide terpenes, terpenes, and fenchone. There are also vitamins (A, B8, B9, C) and the elements C, Ca, P, K, S, Fe … Roots contain 0.3% fat. In which anethole is the main ingredient that brings many pharmacological effects :
- Anethol has an inhibitory effect on tubercle bacilli on animals.
- A topical stimulating effect is similar to mint.
- The effect of increasing gastric secretion, and increased intestinal motility.
- Certain chemicals in star anise can have the same effect as estrogen and may have effects on the human body in relation to menstruation and menopause.
2. Anise health benefits
✅ The combination of anise extract, saffron, and celery seed can help alleviate menstrual cramps, according to a pilot study of 180 female students (ages 18-27) that were divided into three groups: one group received anise seed/saffron/celery mixture, one group received mefenamic acid (an anti-inflammatory drug) and one group received a placebo. Starting with pain every menstrual period each group is assigned to treat three times a day for three days. After tracking participants for two to three menstrual periods, the study authors found that those who were prescribed anise seed/saffron/celery seed combination experienced significantly less pain compared to those given Indicated in the other two treatments.
2.2 Reduce menopausal symptoms
✅ Menopause is a natural decline of female reproductive hormones during aging, leading to symptoms such as hot flashes, fatigue, and dry skin … These are symptoms of hormonal disorders in women. Anise seeds are thought to mimic the effects of estrogen in your body, potentially reducing menopausal symptoms. Anise seed helps regulate menstruation, reduce contractions safely and effectively. Study of 50 menopausal women who regularly hot flashes, giving Anise extract in capsule form daily for four weeks. Compared to the control group, those treated with anise extract had a significant reduction in the frequency and severity of their hot flashes. You can treat menstrual illnesses by drinking herbal tea with small particles of urine a week before your period. Perseverance drinking this tea will reduce, lose symptoms of abdominal pain, nausea, feeling caused by menstrual disorders.
✅ In addition, some compounds in star anise seeds (including anethole) may help prevent bone loss, one of the typical symptoms of menopause that occurs due to a decrease in estrogen levels in your body.
2.3 Good for the digestive system
- A stomach ulcer is a painful ulcer that forms in your stomach lining, causing symptoms like indigestion, nausea, and a burning sensation in the chest. With the high levels of antioxidants and antimicrobials in anise, it is able to prevent stomach ulcers and reduce the symptoms of the disease. In fact, traditional medicine has used Anise seed to help relieve symptoms of stomach pain.
- Using Anise, cumin, and elderberry may help reduce constipation. In a clinical trial involving 20 patients with chronic constipation.
- Another published study suggests that anise oil may be a promising treatment for patients with irritable bowel syndrome.
2.4 Antibacterial and anti-inflammatory
✅ In vitro studies have shown that anise and its compounds have powerful antimicrobial properties that help prevent infection and prevent the growth of fungi and bacteria. Anise essential oil has a good and effective effect against and kills harmful fungal strains such as yeasts, dermatophytes. Anethole component has the effect of inhibiting the formation and growth of bacteria that cause diseases such as cholera, diarrhea.
✅ Inflammation is considered the normal response of your immune system to protect against injury and infection. However, high levels of long-term inflammation are associated with chronic conditions, such as heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. The substances in anise seed have high antioxidant properties, it has an anti-inflammatory effect, prevents oxidative damage.
3. Notes when using Anise
When using anise herbal tea or supplements, you should note the following :
- Anise is safe for pregnant and lactating women and children when used as part of a normal diet. However, you should consult your doctor if using supplements containing anise or long-term use.
- Be careful when using birth control pills along with anise. Because some contraceptives contain estrogen and Anise may have some of the same effects as estrogen. Taking the herb with birth control pills can reduce the effectiveness of birth control pills.
- Anise can cause allergic reactions in some people who are allergic to other plants similar to asparagus, celery, coriander, dill.
4. Recommended for you :
🎁 Food to live | Anise Seeds Whole
✅ Food to Live offers 100% natural Anise Seeds free from any additives. Food to Live Anise Seeds is premium-quality and full of the incredibly spicy aroma. Anise Seeds are a fantastic spice for cooking exotic dishes and amazing marinades. Use them to flavor soups, sauces, and bread, making the taste of loved recipes truly magical. Add Anise Seeds to herbal teas to enhance their flavor and medicinal properties.